gun violence - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: gun violence

Quote Originally Posted by Mister-Jr View Post
    All reasonable ideas, but I don't want the military doing the duty of the police in high crime zones (#6)
    That is more of a way to give them a job now that the wars are ending. Sort of "nation building" but, here at home.

The prevalence of guns on our society causes this. Make then harder to get and the gun crimes decline.

Quote Originally Posted by T Howard View Post
    That is more of a way to give them a job now that the wars are ending. Sort of "nation building" but, here at home.
    Since you are reasonable and responsible , I'm willing to comprise and give you that one. EZPZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclist View Post
    The prevalence of guns on our society causes this. Make then harder to get and the gun crimes decline.
    Remove suicide, then separate organized crime(gangs) from all others. The "others" category gets pretty small which makes it difficult to base restriction of firearms on. Suicide will be still achieved by other means. Organized crime is a by definition a criminal activity; restricted access to guns is not going to stop this. Properly define the problem and specifically target the solution!

Quote Originally Posted by T Howard View Post
    1. Real background checks backed by drug/alcohol abuse, criminal and mental health data. I would not have an issue with a tiered licensing/training system that allows for folks to purchase on the spot.
    2. Responsibility laws for firearm ownership. Rights come with responsibilities!
    3. Legalize mild recreational drugs.
    4. Shore up mental health system institutionally and accessibility.
    5. Secure national boarders
    6. Use military to facilitate secure boarders and intervene in high crime areas.
    7. Allow/encourage possession/use of non-lethal weapons in schools, government buildings and other "gun-free" zones.
    1- tier system is stupid
    2- Its the bill of RIGHTS not responsibilities. Infringements. absolutely not.
    3- yes
    4- yes and not half az it
    5- yes
    6- is this serious?
    7- allow/ encourage conceal carry of firearms in those areas. You are only restricting good guys from carrying there. bad guys will and already do break the law there anyways

probably one of the best examples of reasonable gun control anyone has put on here so far...attacking the source not the inanimate object

Personally I believe gun violence could be substantially reduced if we as a nation began to take a good long look at the real root of the problem: Our current drug laws. The "War on Drugs" will eventually bankrupt this country, morally and economically.

Quote Originally Posted by lawaiaa View Post
    Personally I believe gun violence could be substantially reduced if we as a nation began to take a good long look at the real root of the problem: Our current drug laws. The "War on Drugs" will eventually bankrupt this country, morally and economically.
    Yep, spend the money on enforcing current gun laws and make ALL gun sales need a background check.

I'm not against decriminalizing/legalizing MJ but I'm not sure it will make much of a difference in violent crime. If I sling weed for a living and then my customers can start buying weed at walmart I'm not likely to change careers but rather change the products I provide.

Quote Originally Posted by lawaiaa View Post
    Seems so logical, huh? What is the connection that keeps the war alive? Has government backed themselves into a corner with decades of lying about the WOD that they cant reverse themselves?
    "....once the glitches get worked out." ~gunby31

"Make them (guns) harder to get and the gun crimes decline."

Specious statement. Burglary and black market importation will go up as criminal demand will be unaffected by the laws imposed. In fact, if 50% of legal gun owners destroyed their guns today those burglars seeking firearms may need to double the number of homes they hit to satiate their desire.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast