Braid to Fluorocarbon Knot - Page 5

Florida Sportsman

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hexter View Post
    I have never had a knot problem with my guides. I tie a spider hitch in the braid, and then tie a bristol knot to connect the fluoro or mono to the braid

I usually make the spider hitch with 6-7 wraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hexter View Post
    Bristol Knot

I usually make the bristol knot with 4 wraps
    Jack, do you shorten the length of the loop in the spider hitch when targeting larger offshore fish?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Mango Man View Post
    Jack, do you shorten the length of the loop in the spider hitch when targeting larger offshore fish?
    It's hard to shorten the length of the double line. A properly tied spider hitch must form slowly and if you got big fingers, 6 to 7 turns will make the loop much larger. You MUST slowly form the spider hitch or else it is just one big clump of knot that is substantially weaker than a properly form one. Here is a boring but real test, testing spider hitch, Sebile, and double line uni(folds line over to double it before making the uni). Please ignore the scenery on the video especially the orange croc . As you can see, Sebile is still champ and Tufline XP in 30lbs test is pretty damn strong besting PP, Spiderwire, Suffix, Stren, Daiwa. Check Paulus just fishing and you can see that Tufline XP at 30lbs has a diameter of .316 mm and actual breaking strength of 53lbs making it the strongest strength/diameter ratio. I got between 42 and 44 lbs with the Sebile so that is conservatively, an 80% strength knot.

Here is the video proof and as you can see, once you tie the sebile a 100 time, you can tie it in a minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev6MG...ature=youtu.be

Nice tests and very interesting.
    Breaking strength of the line or the knot in a slow pressure situation is not proof which line or knot is best.
    Most all braided lines will test above their rated breaking strength in pounds. Some will be way over. If a knot breaks at 75% of the rated line then in most cases it will be above the rated line strength.
    Not everyone ties knots the same or as good as you do. Many knots that I have seen fail were poorly tied or not correctly done.
    It would be interesting to see how knots test with a quick snap or jerk like you are setting the hook or when a fish makes a quick run. It seems that is when most lines break. A nick or abrasion in the line will make a huge difference also. I doubt if many fishermen could even lift a 30 pound weight off the bottom in 30 feet of water using a rod and reel. Most could not lift a 5 lb weight with an inshore rod and reel. You would have to have a real broom stick. A 20,30 or 40 lb fish would be no problem if it were not providing any resistance or fighting in any way.
    Keep up with your testing and try with line soaked in water for a while.
    NOTHING IS POLITICALLY RIGHT THAT IS MORALLY WRONG
    ___Abraham Lincoln

If the FS staff had one of those fancy machines they could do their own "knot wars" videos.

Quote Originally Posted by estero View Post
    Nice tests and very interesting.
    Breaking strength of the line or the knot in a slow pressure situation is not proof which line or knot is best.
    Most all braided lines will test above their rated breaking strength in pounds. Some will be way over. If a knot breaks at 75% of the rated line then in most cases it will be above the rated line strength.
    Not everyone ties knots the same or as good as you do. Many knots that I have seen fail were poorly tied or not correctly done.
    It would be interesting to see how knots test with a quick snap or jerk like you are setting the hook or when a fish makes a quick run. It seems that is when most lines break. A nick or abrasion in the line will make a huge difference also. I doubt if many fishermen could even lift a 30 pound weight off the bottom in 30 feet of water using a rod and reel. Most could not lift a 5 lb weight with an inshore rod and reel. You would have to have a real broom stick. A 20,30 or 40 lb fish would be no problem if it were not providing any resistance or fighting in any way.
    Keep up with your testing and try with line soaked in water for a while.
    I think some very well respected Australian fisherman who tuna fishes a lot did a very thorough shock strength test by subjecting the knot to high shock(sudden) load and concluded that the bimini knot is far superior to any single line PR or FG knot. That makes sense since the bimini in it's relaxed state has some built in shock absorption where as the other knot are taut and ready to go. I bet for mono, the australian plait knot is just as good if not better.

Nice to see the knot war finally testing line to leader knot. If 13lbs was the best that they got out of 14lb fireline then they have a long way to go. In my test 14lbs fireline has terrible knot strength but I was able to still manage 20lbs of force before it snaps. I got 15lbs of 8lbs fireline and 18 lbs out of 10lbs fireline. 14lbs fireline is much thicker but does not fare much better.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaholik View Post
    I think some very well respected Australian fisherman who tuna fishes a lot did a very thorough shock strength test by subjecting the knot to high shock(sudden) load and concluded that the bimini knot is far superior to any single line PR or FG knot. That makes sense since the bimini in it's relaxed state has some built in shock absorption where as the other knot are taut and ready to go. I bet for mono, the australian plait knot is just as good if not better.

Nice to see the knot war finally testing line to leader knot. If 13lbs was the best that they got out of 14lb fireline then they have a long way to go. In my test 14lbs fireline has terrible knot strength but I was able to still manage 20lbs of force before it snaps. I got 15lbs of 8lbs fireline and 18 lbs out of 10lbs fireline. 14lbs fireline is much thicker but does not fare much better.
    #15 of drag is more than I can get out of my little Stradic or TDA.

Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    #15 of drag is more than I can get out of my little Stradic or TDA.
    Precisely, a uni- uni knot is more than sufficient for all of American made 10lbs braid which typically has ABS of 20lbs+ and KBS of at least 12-13lbs. However, I would not subject any inshore stradic or Daiwa reel to more than 6lbs of drag no matter what the max drag rating is. I once spooled a brand new Daiwa Bradia in the 3000 size with 15lbs Fireline Braid which broke around 24lbs. I hooked up with a 40-50lbs Eagle ray in blind's pass while jigging for Pompano. In the interest of shortening the fight, I crank the drag from 2-3lbs to about 6-7lbs. 15 minutes later, the hook pulled, the reel still works, the drag is fine, but the mainshaft bearing is shot. It does not wobble but in no way does sound like new. I mailed it back to tackle warehouse and got it replaced.

I have never had a surgeon's knot fail and it's easy to tie. http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/surgeons-knot/ Not the smallest (no pun intended) , but I usually try not to pull through the rod tip anyway.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345