Hewes tunnel drive?

Florida Sportsman

Hewes tunnel drive?

Have any of y'all owned one or have much time on one? I know that most tunnels have a reputation for not handling a chop well and I was wondering if this hull shares that issue.
    Pros/cons vs other hewes of similar vintage?

I almost a used one years ago, ended up buying a bonefisher, would be interested in how they handle and how shallow they draft.

Tunnels don't take a chop? I have had no issues with a tunnel taking a chop. My pontoon boat is a tunnel/cat hull. It takes the slop really well. Tunnel hull flats boat? My 20' scandy is pretty good it a chop. Is it a deep V. Heck no.

Oh and tunnels can take a chop just fine.

tunnels dont float as shallow because of the loss of displacement. The channeled water flow will allow the engine to ride higher, so they can run skinnier.

CMD

Quote Originally Posted by 72soa View Post
    Tunnels don't take a chop? I have had no issues with a tunnel taking a chop. My pontoon boat is a tunnel/cat hull. It takes the slop really well. Tunnel hull flats boat? My 20' scandy is pretty good it a chop. Is it a deep V. Heck no.
    I don't have enough experience with any of them to know. I read elsewhere that they don't take a chop as well as a traditional hull. I believe one of the comparisons was the maverick hpx-v vs. the hpx-t. They said the T was wetter and didn't handle a chop nearly as well as the V.
    Thanks for the replies. Keep em comin.

Quote Originally Posted by Catmandew View Post
    tunnels dont float as shallow because of the loss of displacement. The channeled water flow will allow the engine to ride higher, so they can run skinnier.

CMD
    Being new to the shallow water game, after years of offshore fishing, bought a new to me 2103 Kenner Vision Tunnel. The word "tunnel" to many is a plague with warnings of draft, ride, speed, planing, turning, etc.. Immediately "after" purchasing the new ride, I was hoping I made a good decision coming from years of being spoiled by my 2150 Bluewater. Seller's remorse had definitely set in, but ready to try.
    After researching everything I could about tunnels and pocket drives, seems overall length of boat in ration to length of tunnel is what matteres most, hence why a 17T rides so rough, but a 21-23T glides through the chop. My 2103 rides great in a chop, but will get bumpy if you trim her up like any boat removing the "V" from the water. Speed is about 4-6mph slower, running 52 @ 5300 RPM on a 21P Rev4 prop, which isn't bad at all. Amazing hole shot in about 2 boat lengths, but tunnel DOES squat at launch due to displacement. This tunnel floats very shallow... shallower than I care to fish, but fun for a new experience. With a 6" jack plate should run in mud with that long tunnel. Fairly stable narrow hull, great bow entry, speed and fuel economy.
    Didn't want to derail, but did want to give some real world input on the tunnel for fear of my own. Shorter the boat = shorter the surface area... tunnel removes even more of the wetted surface area = rough ride.... Just my .02

This boat DOES slide in a hard turn as reported of most tunnels, and gets real "loose" once trimmed up.