Help! Birds are pooping on my patio and new paddle fans!

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help! Birds are pooping on my patio and new paddle fans!

Got some new paddle fans on the main, unscreened patio here in Key Largo and some birds (doves I think) assume that the blades are tree branches since the look like big palm fronds, etc. Not only are they pooping on the patio floor but also on the expensive fan blades!!

What can I do to send them the signal "Keep Out"?

Plastic owl? Rubber snake? I know that boaters sometimes use those to keep pesky birds off.

Suggestions and ideas will be greatly appreciated!!

Shotgun or paint blades White.

Leave the fan on low 24/7... "lets see ya land on THIS dove!"
    An exterior ceiling fan on the oceanside has a very limited life span anyways.

And then screen in the patio.?.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheedge5658 View Post
    Shotgun or paint blades White.
    Haha! I just popped in to West Marine in KL and "Larry" there laughed when I told him my "problem" and directed me to the nearby gun shop!! "You might want to become good friends with your neighbors first"!

They have three kinds of plastic owls, including one who's head spins around in the breeze. Visions of Linda Blair's head spinning in The Exocist popped in my head! They also have a 6' snake and all sorts of contraptions up to a $249 sonic beam kind of thing. I decided to wait and see what pops up on this thread.

The problem with a plastic owl/snake is that if it stays in the same spot and postion, pretty soon the birds are crapping on them! My neighbor in Lauderdale had a 4 foot long "gator" on the swim platform of his 33 Trojan and I laughed when the birds used to land and then sit on the gator's head!

Painting them white might be an option....... good idea.

Backlash-- We did a LOT of research two years ago on Outdoor rated fans as we wanted three for our new patio in Lauderdale. The ones that we got (Dan't Fan City in Hillsboro) are rated for 30 years of outdoor use and have fully encapsulated motors. When I asked him how to clean them, he replied, "Blast them with a hose" and I knew these would work. So, we bought two more for the fixer-upper in KL. These are not to be confused with the $79 fans at Lowe's. They were pricey, but we hope it's worth it in the long run..... Guess I better get out there and blast the poop off with the hose!

Screening? Not an option here........ it's part of the reason we bought this house...... nice breezes off the nearby ocean.

We have a toy "rat" that's kind of a Halloween thing and we enjoy strategically placing it around the house for female guests to "enjoy" on occasion. It's damned near a foot long with a long curly tail and nasty looking teeth, so he's out on the patio right now on his first day on Guard Duty so we'll see how that works.

you might want to try putting some mothballs in a pair of your wifes nylons and hang it close by. I have tried this before with good results. You only need about 6-8

string up 20 lb fishing line and the birds will avoid it.
    Take out your boat, make a memory!

The only way to have that permanently fixed is to leave the fan on low. Trust me I have been dealing with this for 20 years at my house.

Funny story, one thanksgiving before everyone came over, wifey cleaned the back patio and decorated all the tables. Just as she finished, she waled over and turned on the switch that controls both fans. We both stood there as we heard things flying around and hitting and landing on everything. She wasn't happy with dove poop all over the thanksgiving decorations and patio. Fans have run on slow ever since that day.
    Due to the Current State of the Economy,

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!

We tried the owl...doves thought it was their mother. I might try the moth balls. Otherwise we're gonna run the fishing line trick.

Bring the fan down and cut abunch of stiff wire about 2" and with a hot glue gun. stick them all over the top side of the fan in a vertical position especially around the edges.
    -Carlos Junior
    www.Reelteasefishing.com

http://www.facebook.com/ReelTeaseFishing
    Instagram: @Reelteasefishing
    Twitter: @Reelteasef

Islamorada Spring/Summer - Lauderdale Fall/Winter
    Here's another endorsement for leaving the fan on 24/7. Birds aside, running the fans makes them last longer. Turning them off allows the salt moisture to rust the bearings, rotor etc. and they fail twice as fast.

FYI - Get use to replacing fans every 3 to 5 years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast