St. Joseph surf fishing

Florida Sportsman

St. Joseph surf fishing

I'm heading down to St. Joseph for the weekend to do a bit of camping and possibly some fishing. Does anyone know the area? Do you have any tips on bait? I would love to catch a bull red. From what I've gathered you can use a number of different baits. Also, where is the best/closest bait & tackle shop to the state park? Any info helps, thanks!

Bait shop for Live bait would be Presnell's. You will see it on your right on the way in if you come from Port St. Joe. The tackle shops will be in Port St. Joe, you have Half Hitch and Blue Water Outriggers. Have not fished the surf on that side for some years, so can't give you a decent answer on that. I would think whiting and possible pompano. You never know what would happen with a free line or live bait on a 1 oz. lead

Thanks Redhunter. Would you happen to know if there are any charters in the area?

Take a look here,

http://psjmarina.com/

but more so here...............

http://www.seahorsewatersafaris.com/

I fished in the canal this time of year. If you have a boat go north of the power line to the Tee. Think drum, spot, and what ever. I always avoided the area acorss from the pogie boats....It is the water treatment plant....................... You used to be able to bank fish under the Trapper bridge. Nothing much going in early February anywhere else for me back then.

Check the regs. I can't remember what's open or closed. Seatrout used to be closed in that area during Feb.

I would get my bait at Half Hitch and check with them on where they are biting. I got better info there than Bluewater. Bluewater did have more flash and selection.

If there is a crowd at the marina park go there. Along about Oct to Dec the trout, reds and flounder used to get backed up in the channel for some odd reason.

If you're camping you'll likely be at the Cape San Blas State Park and a little seperate from all that. Presnells would be the bait shop for you then. This is a good whiting time if you like them. Try both sides of the pennensula. I'd check in Eagle harbor but don't bet the farm on it. Think deeper water. Mud flats they don't have so the heat gain might not work over there like here in NE Fla. The Stump hole.........by the rocks when you come on the cape often produced. Kayak launch is across the road.

It is turtle time. No lights on the beach at night. Don't mess with them.

OF COURSE if you are going to St Joseph State park and not St. Joseph Bay our information is for an area about 40 miles east of where you are talking aobut.

Think pompano if it is Panama. Fish shrimp, pompano jigs, and sand fleas (real, forzen or arties) . Look for them in the first trough. Then go to the second. If you find sand fleas fish there. It is their favorite food source. PSJ also has them but I caught mine in small numbers near Mexico Bch.
    Last edited by Bakerman; 02-01-2013 at 04:17 PM.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.

Quote Originally Posted by NolesNolesNoles View Post
    Thanks Redhunter. Would you happen to know if there are any charters in the area?
    There are several charters. I see them going out when I am launching in the morning. Some launch from the public docks and ther are a few that go out of Presnells. I think the new owner of Presnells is a inshore guide. I did get a shock when we were loading up one day and the wife asked one what the prices were.

Bakerman has some real good thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakerman View Post

OF COURSE if you are going to St Joseph State park and not St. Joseph Bay our information is for an area about 40 miles east of where you are talking aobut.

Think pompano if it is Panama. Fish shrimp, pompano jigs, and sand fleas (real, forzen or arties) . Look for them in the first trough. Then go to the second. If you find sand fleas fish there. It is their favorite food source. PSJ also has them but I caught mine in small numbers near Mexico Bch.
    St. Joseph state park IS on St. Joseph Bay. http://www.floridastateparks.org/stjoseph/default.cfm Its official name is T.H. Stone Memorial St. Joseph Peninsula State Park. The one in Panama City is St. Andrews state park.

Sure..........I guess. I don't worry with names much any more. Besides the PC pass is where the bulls are and you mentioned wanting to catch one.
    Bakerman formerly known as Bakerman.