Visiting Vero

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting Vero

Visiting Vero

Hello Everybody,

First I just wanted to say I love reading all the great posts and reports on here. I live in Connecticut and do all my fishing in New England but in mid March my girlfriend and I will be visiting some family in Vero Beach for a week. We'll only have a car so I was just wondering if theres any areas to do some wade fishing for some of your reds or trout. I'm not looking for any secret spots or honey holes just some areas to get out with the girlfriend and do some fishing and exploring. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice you guys can offer and if any of you are ever up my way I'll definitely help out with any questions you have. Thanks again!

Start with Sebastian inlet park. Also check out Sebastian inlet fishing report on the internet. When you drive up that way north on A1A you will see lots of spots

Banned
    1st wear shoes, the oyster beds will cut your feet apart. Between Walmart on 60, the baitshack next to Riverside Cafe(where cleans does his macking) you will be able to get anything you need. I dont wade fish in saltwater, but other than around Sebastian I see types of waders around the bridge to north bound A1A by the bridge in Fort Pierce.....

Dont forget my favroite surf fishing on the beach at RioMar country club. You can get snook and poons rolling in the surf(march is a touch early), pompano should be running around then. You can get slot size snook from the Sebastian inlet then.... You can shark fish at night in front of Waldos and get drinks and mack on chicks...

Your going to have a great time!

Thanks for the replies guys! We came down last year same time but I wasn't able to bring any rods so I kind of know the areas you're talking about. Due to flight restrictions I think I'll just be bringing down my fly rod so I'll probably won't be in the surf too much but whatever happens I'll make sure I let you guys know how I do. I really can't wait there hasn't been much fishing up here lately so I'm pumped to get on any kind of water (that isn't ice). Thanks again for the help!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ml82793 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys! We came down last year same time but I wasn't able to bring any rods so I kind of know the areas you're talking about. Due to flight restrictions I think I'll just be bringing down my fly rod so I'll probably won't be in the surf too much but whatever happens I'll make sure I let you guys know how I do. I really can't wait there hasn't been much fishing up here lately so I'm pumped to get on any kind of water (that isn't ice). Thanks again for the help!
    Guys whip light tackle into the surf all the time from just a few feet on the beach.....Yes I like to use 12'-15' poles but its cuz i like to keep my hands free to hold cocktails and cell phones, eat snacks, do pilaties....exceizes....That strech by riomar I like. I like whiping stuff around the power plant....The vero one. U can fish from the ends of the fingers...

The rod I have is a 6 wt....I figure I can manage in the river but do you think it's enough for surf?

Banned
    I have landed huge poons by your standards on light tackle in surf in front of the Ocean Grill..... They wouldnt be big by my standards......I like them the size of pilot whales, when I can get'em.

You will get whiting, a jack, a few pomps, many catfish....real mixed bag stuff....Snook and tarpon when the weather heats up aroung May.....March might be early...

I have the river.....I think the worst fish to catch is a sea trout....I hate those fish and seeing reports on them..make me say why for some reason.....I also hate toyota priuses too...Dont know why just do.

Haha I hear ya on the prius but honestly I just want to catch an be out on the water and have a little change of pace. I'll definitely hit up the surf and see what I can do though now that you've recommended it and once again thanks for the great advice

Banned
    Where in Vero do you stay?

On US1, go to Oslo road (9th St SW), make a left an go to the river. There's a small ramp and a parking area there. You can wade in off the ramp and go either north or south for some red and /or trout action.

If you want a good, knowledgable guide call captain Charlie Conner here:
    http://www.fishtalescharter.com/
    772-284-3852 (CELL)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast