Pine Island 1-25-13

Florida Sportsman

Cape Coral, Matlacha, Pine Island, Sanibel

Pine Island 1-25-13

Every so often things work out just as they are suppose to. Today was one of those days.
    I headed out to Pine Island with Capt. Blackbeard. The tide was extremely low and we started the day off dragging our kayaks a few hundred yards through the freezing cold water.

Once I could float I started to paddle to a spot that new holds redfish. I immediately started throwing my riptide paddle tails. After about an hour I only had one small trout to show for my efforts. I put my rod down and started in on my beef jerky and Mountain Dew breakfast while the slight breeze pushed me over the flats.

I glanced up from my breakfast only to be greeted by the most textbook redfish tail waving at me about 15 yards away from my kayak. I immediately pushed my Mirage Drive down to silently stop me dead in my tracks. I sat there and watched for a few minutes to make sure that my eyes weren't deceiving me since I had seen no signs of life all day. Completely oblivious to my presence he continued on feeding right in front of my kayak. I quietly tossed a nasty old shrimp on a 1/0 circle hook and made a cast directly on top of his head. I saw him spook off and was heart broken. I closed the bail on my reel and my line started to get tight and then the rod bent in half and my drag started to scream. Apparently I must have put that shrimp directly inside his mouth. After a few short minutes I was finally able to get him to the yak and put some slime on my new Ego net.

The rest of the day I threw my riptide paddle tail with zero luck. Finally I decided to make a color change and was rewarded on my first cast with a 20" trout. I was able to limit out in about a half hour on trout and then I decided to call it a day and head back in. Another great day in Southwest Florida......

Did you say freezing cold water? What's the temp? If i had my kayak out the water is hovering in the mid thirties. Have to navigate through whatever water isnt frozen. You guys are so lucky down there.

I spearfish that water. Isnt that cold.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Water temp was 64 or so today. I was out in Southern PISound and there were dead mullet everywhere on the bottom. I guess the red tide is in San Carlos Bay......
    For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen

It was plenty cold enough yesterday morning. It did warm up as the day went on though

Even one nice red makes the day rewarding in pine island sound. Those fish are spooky man. Where do you launch your yak from...pineland?

yup

very cool footer on your posts Jim!

Thanks man. I have been playing around with some different Adobe filters and really like the oil filter they've got.