North Bay 1/31

Florida Sportsman

Thread: North Bay 1/31

North Bay 1/31

I had a trip to north Biscayne bay today with three customers, we launched out of pelican harbor Marina and headed north. We trolled some lipped plugs on the way to our spot and picked up a Mack and some runners. The plan was to drift fish some usually productive grass flats using jerk baits and gulp shrimp. I landed a nice Pompano right away on a jerk bait and then got a smaller one, after that it was lizard fish and jacks for the next hr. A storm rolled up on us with some rain and heavy gusts so we tucked in behind a spoil island to wait it out. After it passed we headed across the ICW and found birds working bait, with the bait was good mixed bag of fish. We caught bluefish, jacks, a trout (finally), and another Mack on jerk baits. One of the clients also lost a big fish that hit a gulp shrimp and had him down to the backing before the hook came out. Overall it was a good trip (especially considering the weather) the one thing that bothered me was the lack of trout. A year ago I could go to north bay and expect to catch 15+ trout any time of year in a four hour trip, but the last few trips I have been lucky to get one
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-01-31_11-50-50_215.jpg  
    Ocean Kayak Pro Staff - Member of Team Ocean Kayak Florida

I know the feeling, i'm lucky if i get one (trout) there. Bluefish were blitzing a few weeks ago though. Good report.
    2012 Hobie Revo-11 a.k.a. "Tub2.0"
    2013 Hobie Outback a.k.a. "Fat Bottom Girl" <-For Sale!

Nice catch. Good to see a few pomps down your way.

Quote Originally Posted by jcanracer View Post
    I know the feeling, i'm lucky if i get one (trout) there. Bluefish were blitzing a few weeks ago though. Good report.
    Yea I don't know what is going on with the trout population there, it was booming not to long ago. I think it has to do with increased fishing pressure. In the last year I have noticed a lot more boats fishing the area, and when ever I asked someone how they were doing they would show me a cooler full of trout. I catch and release all trout I catch there now
    Ocean Kayak Pro Staff - Member of Team Ocean Kayak Florida

That problem is also taking place in south biscayne bay. Many times I've seen motor boats in the usual kayaking areas and I have a suspicion that they are keeping as many as possible "to make the trip worth it"
    2012 Hobie Revo-11 a.k.a. "Tub2.0"
    2013 Hobie Outback a.k.a. "Fat Bottom Girl" <-For Sale!

The crazy weather pattern could be the reason for the lack of trout. However, any action is fun. Thank you for sharing.