Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bass Pro Shop buys old Chevy Dealership

Written by

Patrick Peterson and Wayne Price

Filed Under
    News
    Local News

Bass Pro Outdoor World has announced in its 2013 catalog that it will open a store in Palm Bay.

The company in November purchased a large tract of land in Palm Bay. However, neither city officials nor the company will comment on when plans will be made public for a megastore near Interstate 95.

County records show the Springfield, Mo., company spent $6.55 million on a 12.3-acre site that was formerly Palm Bay Chevrolet.

Bass Pro Shops was founded in 1971 by Johnny Morris in Springfield, Mo. The mail-order business started in 1974, and the company began selling fully rigged bass boats in 1978.

Bass Pro Shops today serves 75 million customers a year in 77 stores and is also planning stores in Tallahassee, Tampa and St. Johns County. The average customer stays 2.5 hours and drives more than 50 miles.

The Brevard County Commission approved a tax incentive package in November for a secret “Project Karl” that would create 200 jobs. The commission voted to be the conduit to issue up to $10 million in bonds for the project at 1450 Executive Drive N.E

Supposed to be open by Summer 2013.

copoutfishing.com

Cool

I guess it is good they are coming. But, I plan on sticking with Rich and the local fellows at Harry Goode's.
    Last edited by redjim; 01-10-2013 at 09:59 AM.

I'd rather go to Handler's.

It's all about trade offs. BP will bring lots of jobs but most likely locally owned and operated tackle shops will suffer a loss of sales. The upside is BP gives a great opportunity to price match with West Marine and save some $$$$.
    2011 Aeon Pro Guide 23'
    Etec 250

I'll be going there to kill time and my by something now and then, but I'm going to keep the bulk of my business at the mom and pop style shops.

High quality vinyl stickers representing your fishing lifestyle.
    H2O Vinyl Designs
    Check Out My Fishing/Diving Videos

Sure it will create jobs at the begining, but once business starts to taper off they will let go of unneeded employees. My friend worked at the one in Miami and after about a year they laid off a bunch of people due to low sales. Sure you can make some money if you work construction, but that will only last about 6-9 months. The smaller guys is the way to go in my opinion. In most cases if the smaller guy doesn't have it they can get it for you and have it by the following week. The privately owned guys will suffer and once they are gone where are you going to buy your shrimp and bait from???

I moved to Merritt Island recently. Can anyone recommend a good local mom and pop spot? I usually go to Sunrise at the Port but they're mostly a bait shop.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast