Chum Question

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chum Question

Talking Chum Question

Hi All. My next door neighbor tells me he, from time to time, throws cans of cat food into the Dania Cutoff Canal during a slack tide in order to bring fish. Has anybody ever done this opposed to putting a block of chum in the water? Did it work for you? My neighbor says some fish come around like sand perch, etc.

Thoughts/feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by katwoman85 View Post
    Hi All. My next door neighbor tells me he, from time to time, throws cans of cat food into the Dania Cutoff Canal during a slack tide in order to bring fish. Has anybody ever done this opposed to putting a block of chum in the water? Did it work for you? My neighbor says some fish come around like sand perch, etc.

Wouldn't that be considered littering not chumming?

Cat food works well as chum. I carried several cans aboard my boat, for use when fishing shallow reefs. One can dump the food into a fine-mesh chum bag and it will last for awhile, but it still dissipates fairly quickly if there's a current running

Quote Originally Posted by Lunch time crowd View Post
    Wouldn't that be considered littering not chumming?
    He throws the food out in the canal not the can. Should have worded different.

...during a slack tide in order to bring fish. Has anybody ever done this opposed to putting a block of chum in the water?
    Slack tide is not the time to chum because no water movement for the scent to be effective. Canned cat food is good but probably more expensive than a block of chum.

Probably more economical to throw 2-3 cans of cat food rather than a block of chum. I would think the only problem with it would be certain people (and we all know who they are), may try to scoop up the cat food and eat it.

Cheap cans of sardines/anchovys work good. Just poke a couple holes in the can, tie some line to the peel ring and lower it down.

Quote Originally Posted by mandaferret View Post
    Cheap cans of sardines/anchovys work good. Just poke a couple holes in the can, tie some line to the peel ring and lower it down.
    That sounds like a great idea. Never thought about that one.

Buy a bag of cat or dog food at the dollar store or when they are on sale. Add it to your chum bag mixed with the chum block and you just added another 10lbs of chum to your slick
    -Carlos Junior
    www.Reelteasefishing.com

http://www.facebook.com/ReelTeaseFishing
    Instagram: @Reelteasefishing
    Twitter: @Reelteasef

Friend of mine lived on the ICW, south of Beach Blvd a ways, mixed cans of cat food with mud, threw mud balls out in the shallows during high tide, caught some nice shrimp and occassional squid that way...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast