POINT AT TOP OF NORTH BEACH, FT DESOTO

Florida Sportsman

POINT AT TOP OF NORTH BEACH, FT DESOTO

Can't seem to catch fish at Ft Desoto North Beach point lately... Have had good luck in the past. (luck being key factor). Any ideas?

fish aren't on the beach right now , maybe a few pompano and some flounder..fish the grass flats and fish where the fish are. If you try a spot and there are no fish , pack up and move to another spot, keep moving till you find them.

What are you using for bait ?

check out the west central section of the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    fish aren't on the beach right now , maybe a few pompano and some flounder..fish the grass flats and fish where the fish are. If you try a spot and there are no fish , pack up and move to another spot, keep moving till you find them.

What are you using for bait ?

check out the west central section of the forum.
    Cut bait, live (ish) shrimp, squid... There are lots of grass flats around Ft Desoto, but I'm not sure how to fish them.

you can freeline those live shrimp and do pretty good, live white bait and pinfish are good choices too.. don't use any terminal tackle except for your hook and maybe a small split shot weight.
    tie your mainline to 3' of 15lb or 20lb fluorocarbon leader with a uni to uni knot ,tie a 4 turn uni knot to your 1/0 circle hook.
    you can start by fishing the passes and the edges of the channels with moving water, drift your bait..if you get out there on low tide search for the pot holes.
    3" gulp shrimp on a 1/8oz mission fishing jighead will get bit ,tie a loop knot. basically its light tackle fishing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfHU6Dr9dKM

check out the reports section.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/f...ishing-Reports

plenty of detailed information to go over in there.

I gotta learn me some knots... We've caught a few black tips and small bonnet heads with shrimp and cut bait on light/medium rods drifting along the bottom when the currents are coming together pretty strong. Flounder on and off, too. What about floating bait 3 feet or so down from a cork? I suspected we're using too much tackle- slide weight, wblack wire leader, #1 or #2 long straight shank... Tried a long (10ft) medium/heavy rod w/ 2oz below double hook rig- caught one nice jack. Was able to get into the deeper part of the channel, but still no action but that jack.

tackle is way to heavy , stay away from the pre-made tourist leader rigs. a shark rod on the beach is fine , but light tackle catches the inshore species out there.

Cool, thanks. I have much to learn. I used to flyfish for small brown trout in northern NM just about every day. This saltwater stuff is trickier than it appears. I'll try the grass flats. Sat image of East Beach to the small pier shows mix of grass and sand, possibly some rocks? I think I'll try there this Sunday weather permitting.

If you know how to fly fish then get yourself a saltwater setup and go catch yourself some trout!!! I just got into it recently and it is a load of fun...