Gator Trout!!! - Page 4

Florida Sportsman

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Gator Trout!!!

Nice job!!

Congrats. That's a trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jweig20 View Post
    I caught this Big Slob today on a Topwater in the St augustine intercostal from shore. I limited out after also catching and releasing another big 24incher. The rest were all in the 18-19 in range. After all year of catching 14 1/4 in fish im pumped to finally stack em up! She was a 29 1/4 in, 9lb ,16in gerth Pig! I think its a fish of a lifetime but we will just have to wait and see! I went back the next day and caught a 24 1/4 in the same hole. Guess this spot i will keep to myself
    Awesome fish guy!

Quote Originally Posted by catfishin View Post
    It is just a shame to kill such a great fish. IMO
    X2
    Breeder[/QUOTE]
    x3

Quote Originally Posted by Element View Post
    X2
    Breeder
    I'm not arguing for or against anyones position on which fish to keep or not to keep, but just curious where the evidence is on very large trout being citical to the future of the population? What's the cutoff for keeping a trout and why? Does a 24" fish breed more than a 19" fish? I hear the "breeder" comments alot on gator trout, but rarely hear anyone make the same comments when it comes to 10# sheepshead, doormat flounder, 20" seabass or 65# cobia, etc.....[/QUOTE]

Below is the link and highlighted data which supports releasing bigger trout (IMO). I once ate a 30" trout and have become more educated since.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...pecies/strout/

"Spotted seatrout reaches sexual maturity at one to two years. Most large spotted seatrout caught are females and commonly live to be nine or 10 years of age. Anglers long ago recognized that very large trout were usually female and appropriately called them "sow" trout. A female spotted seatrout may spawn several times during the season. Younger females may release 100,000 eggs and older, larger females may release a million eggs. Recent studies indicate that spotted seatrout spawn between dusk and dawn and usually within coastal bays, estuaries and lagoons. They prefer shallow grassy areas where eggs and larvae have some cover from predators. "

Good info but most of us know to release big trout. I just wouldn't tell a fellow unless he has posted several big trout post. It's just always a waiting game on who is going to feel so obligated to do so. But , i know everyone is just informing and trying to preserve our sport. so I'm glad the info is out there. Zbell,that was actually some good info I had not heard before on the egg production.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltwaterMarsh View Post
    my only point is that a trout that get that big is old and has great genetics.
    .....and if they only live 8-10 years then how old do you think this fish is???? This fish has lived her life to the fullest and won't be around much longer anyways.....taking one "breeder" out of millions isn't gonna hurt anything. I'd rather release the 20-25 inchers to get to this stage. Hell of a trout Josh!! I don't see where genetics comes into play in this....it's more age than anything. This fish has escaped predators, nets, ect and just happened to live to maturity. Now if it was a 17-20 lb fish then I'd say genetics had something to do with it.

The topic isnt asking for people's criticism or opinions on keeping large trout. The topic is that this guy caught a fish of a lifetime and shared info on how he caught it and stayed within the fishing regulations. When I saw there were 4 pages of comments, I had a feeling this thread went in this direction. Kinda sad. "IMO"

Quote Originally Posted by arunram View Post
    I have caught plenty of 15" trout with roe in them. If the law says its ok to keep, keep it! At the end of the day, its my decision to keep it or not. If I want to eat a 30" trout (Not that I can catch any) that day, I will keep it! But I also make the fish gods happy once in a while by letting a beautiful rare specimen go so the gods will treat me with great fishing days for "giving something back". That's just my philosophy anyways. We are all in it for various reasons and a combination of them. All the way from "strictly meat fishermen" to " strictly catch and release". Do whatever you want to do as long as It's within the law and doesn't make you feel bad!

Many a times, even if the angler wants to release a gator trout, they won't because they don't have picture with a beast of a Trout and hence ends up in the ice and someone at home take a picture of you at home. Who doesn't want their picture taken with a fish of a lifetime?! My advice is that if you are a regular fisherman, Invest in a good camera with auto click and a makeshift small tripod so you can take the picture yourself and let the fish go!

My .02

Arun.
    X2 "IMO"
    I think I fish, in part, because itís an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution. ĖJohn Gierach

Thanks for posting this pic of that great fish....sucks that every thread with a nice trout has to turn to this same stupid discussion. Its weak. The "fishing reports" section is for fishing reports....not criticism.

Maybe that's why this section has been slow.
    -Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jizzo View Post
    Thanks for posting this pic of that great fish....sucks that every thread with a nice trout has to turn to this same stupid discussion. Its weak. The "fishing reports" section is for fishing reports....not criticism.

Maybe that's why this section has been slow.
    Yep! Great fish! Good job.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast