new to the area
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to the area

new to the area

Morning guys, I am from south florida and used to fish offshore when i was kid but the Navy has me here in Jax and I'd love to get back into fishing. I have a 16ft CC with 90 merc that I feel comfortable taking out in open water as long as the water is smooth. I just got my VHF radio in case I have an issues a ways out. MY question is I'm used to being able to hit 100-150 ft of water 2-4 miles offshore in south florida. Everyone I chat with is saying im gonna have to go 20-60 miles out it seems. i'm fairly inexperienced at trolling and usually just drop some rigs to the bottom in hopes of grouper and snapper. I was wondering where some good offshore spots are around here and hows everyone fishing for them. I did use the search function to get some insight before posting and found a few tips but with this beautiful weather coming up for the rest of the week I wanted to ask directly for some local offshore tips.
    Thanks!
    Leighton

Get you a hot spots map from strikezone. It has all the party grounds spots on them. That's a good starting point in my eyes. Welcome aboard.
    close cuts lawn service. 576-5175

....But....

A 16 foot boat will keep you kinda close to shore.

If you want to just have some fun and catch some frying fish....you could cruise down the beach and catch some whiting. Just run south along the beach...maybe a half / mile offshore....go past the pier (about 8 miles or so you'll see the pier)....once past it, look for some red roof condos on the beach...get out from that in about 30 to 40 ft of water and drop fresh shrimp on a fish finder rig...poke around ( I like to drift ) and you'll find some nice whitings. They are excellent fried !!

This let's you get the feel of how far you can go with your boat.....let's you get aquianted with running in and out of the inlet....and just lets' you get the feel of the lay of the land, so to speak. That round trip will cover over 20 miles depending on where you launch, so that will determine to you how far east you could go on a nice day....I would tend to think MR , JW, RL, and NM would be your limit.

While you are whiting fishin'....watch out for manta rays, and be ready to cast a squid and jig, or a live pogy towards that ray....it's Cobia season and most of the boats you'll see are chasing them....

Oh and you can troll for spanish around the south rocks, and along the tide rips coming out of the inlet.

Good Luck Sailor....

Steve

Steve,
    Us new guys sure appreciate the help you are always willing to give.
    Thanks,
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by model14 View Post
    Steve,
    Us new guys sure appreciate the help you are always willing to give.
    Thanks,
    Richard

Thanks.....I appreciate that, I really do.

I learned alot on my own, but I was helped along the way too, by too many to name.

If we don't help each other, we are all just vagabonds.

Besides, it's always a pleasure to help a service man, it's the least I can do, honestly...

Steve

whiting huh? Anything or tips for some trigger/snapper/grouper??

Quote Originally Posted by pleasants9 View Post
    whiting huh? Anything or tips for some trigger/snapper/grouper??
    You can reach the grouper at some of the spots I mentioned, that are close in. Snapper too for that matter, even though they are closed.

But the trigger are pretty deep , for a small boat, probably too deep, IMHO

Do you have a live well, that can keep some pogies alive?....if so, you can net some pogies along the beach and drop them to the bottom and you're likely to catch snapper and grouper. But neither of those species are open right now....

....that's why I mentioned the whiting....but I get the impression you want. Something a little more glamorous.....which is cool !!!....I was just throwing that out there....

If I was you I'd be on the lookout for the cobia right now....you can find them on the reefs or on the beach....pick your poison.

Steve

I'll prob try for some whiting in the near future if they are a good catch its fun to catch something over nothing. I know I just especially love the taste of grouper and they come into season next month. Cobia would be amazing, what seems to work well around here for them? I always here people say the best way to catch cobia is to be fishing for something else. Yes to answer your question I have a live well. I don't really know the actual name of the abbreviated spots you mentioned or their GPS points though, would they be in that reef fishing book you were talking about buying?

On a side note I tried surfishing today after getting out of work early but the waves were too rough and kept pulling the rig ashore.

Also, a thank you for all current and future inputs.
    Last edited by pleasants9; 04-22-2014 at 10:42 PM.

Yes get the hot spots book, you'll get acquainted with the close in spots... For instance NM is short for nine mile reef MR is Montgomery's reef...RL is rabbit's lair....ect, ect

There 3 common ways to target the cobia....one is what I do, fish for bottom fish while keeping a lookout for an inquiring cobia, drop him a pogie and nine out of ten times he'll eat it.

Another way is to cruise the rip looking for them outside the inlet. Toss him a pogie or a jig and squid, or one of those lifelike swimming eels from strike zone or C and H and he'll probably eat that.

Or you can drift along and slow motor around down where I told you to whiting fish, in 40 to 50 ft of water looking for manta rays, the cobia cruise along under them and will come out and eat any of the above offerings.

Steve

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast