Bennett Pump Help

Florida Sportsman

Bennett Pump Help

Tabman:

Looking for some help diagnosing a Bennett V351 pump that powers my new-to-me Power Pole on a boat I just bought. At the switch, I'm getting 12v. I went ahead and pulled the pump out, and put 12V+ directly to the each of the 4 pins individually, with the ground connected to the negative side. On the red and green pins, I got a "click", but nothing else. Blue and yellow, nothing at all. Does this mean the pump is bad? Can just the pump be replaced, or will I need to replace the whole assembly? Thanks in advance for your help.

Harley

Harley,

The red and green wires operate the solenoid valves, that is what you hear clicking. The yellow and blue wire should be spliced together right near the pump motor with only the blue wire entering it. The blue wire energizes the pump motor. If you cut the blue/yellow splice and try energizing the blue wire right at the pump motor do you hear it spin (it will sound "labored")? If that doesn't work, then the whole pump assembly will need to be replaced.

Let me know what you find,
    Tom McGow
    Bennett Marine

Thanks for the quick response! I'll play with it this evening after work and see where I stand.

Tom:

Gave it a shot with the blue wire, and nothing from the pump motor. Guess it's DOA, what am I looking at to get it rebuilt/replaced?

Thanks again for your help.

Do you have any idea how old it is?

Tom
    Bennett Marine

Tom:

The boat it is on is a 2001. Not sure if the pump is original, but from the looks of it, I would expect it to be possible. I'm fine with paying for a rebuild or replacement, as I understand this would be well out of warranty.

I just wanted to make sure if it was in or out of warranty.

I want to check some technical specs tomorrow morning when the factory is open, so I am sure we recommend the correct replacement. We redesigned the unit that works with that type of system a while back. I will post as soon as I know.

Tom
    Bennett Marine.

Harley,

After doing some research this morning I found that the pumps we used to build for Power Pole are not the same as what we manufacture now for our hatch-lifting and dual acting Trim Tab systems. Power Pole stopped using our pumps quite some time ago, so your best bet is to contact them for a replacement.

Tom,
    Bennett Marine

Thanks for the assist, Tom. I've got an e-mail into Power Pole, we'll see what they say.