Cabo troubles

Florida Sportsman

Thread: Cabo troubles

Cabo troubles

I have a Quantum Cabo 40 that's started giving me trouble.
    The reel is making a clicking sound/feel to it.
    I cleaned the reel, hoping it was the anti reverse sticking.
    Cleaning the reel didn't help, I'm now thinking it might be the clutch assembly?
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Don't even try to pronounce it! Masaryktown, Fl.
    I replace Quantum clutches regularly. It appears to be an issue with them. Not so much with Cabo's, but definitely on Sustains, etc...

Pull the spool to access the a/r. Remove it and swirl it in a bath of mineral spirits, or paint thinner..NOT lacquer thinner! Let it air dry, and try it out...

Thanks for the reply. I took the reel apart and cleaned it, soaked the anti-reverse etc.
    Still making a clicking feel? Took it back apart and loaded up the greese on the clutch,
    put it back together and lo and behold it stopped the clicking, hopefully for good!

A lot of time u can send it back to quantum and they will send you a new reel they did that a few times with my reels for simple things like spooling at the top instead of evenly.

Quote Originally Posted by snookwhisperer View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I took the reel apart and cleaned it, soaked the anti-reverse etc.
    Still making a clicking feel? Took it back apart and loaded up the greese on the clutch,
    put it back together and lo and behold it stopped the clicking, hopefully for good!
    Grease can gum up the clutch and cause the small springs in there to stick. The use of grease will potentially cause your clutch to slip in time. Better long term is a light anti-salt oil like Corrosion-X. Just add some when you get a chance and it will thin out the grease and keep your clutch happy for the long term.

best
    Last edited by CoralSeas; 02-16-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks for the reply, I'm have to do that at the next lube job.