Mayport Inlet Reds

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mayport Inlet Reds

Me and my buddy Tim went out today for a few hours of Sheepshead fishing. Got to our target area at the Little Jetty rocks. Didn't want to rough the Inlet due to the weatherman's prediction of high winds and 3-5 foot seas. We wasted an hour or so at the Little Jetties and managed nothing other than a keeper Sea Bass. Seemed pretty calm out so i decided to check the Inlet just in case the weather prediction was off. Glad i checked. Dead calm, no wind and less than 1 foot seas. What a joke. Anyways, the Sheepshead bite was very slow in the Inlet today. Didn't see anyone catching. decided to use up the dozen Large Blue Crabs i brought as a back up. Got a few Bull Reds and lost something very large. Had to be a giant Drum or maybe a big Ray. Who knows. Full moon strikes again! I can't do well on full moon days. The bite always seems off. Had good company though and we definitely enjoyed being on the water.

176 SPORTSMAN

Nice work and looks like real nice weather!

I hear you on the full moon. Took my poor wife fishing for the first time in months on Saturday. Figured we would hit the beaches up by Amelia where she's from for some relaxing, easy whiting fishing. Unfortunately got there at low tide so it was dogfish after stingray after dogfish. When the tide started coming in we caught some of the smallest whiting I've ever seen before. 6-8" whiting on a 10' surf rod aren't much fun and the action was very, very slow so she didn't have much fun. We still managed enough for dinner and it was a beautiful day.

She decided we should stay up there and try behind Ft Clinch on Sunday since we had a babysitter and that was a complete strike out. In three hours fishing all we caught was one blowfish. The NE winds were a steady 15+ and it was a bit chilly and it was "off" to say the least.

I'm with you... I'm blaming the full moon.

Full moon blues. Nice reds though!

Nice reds...on the fish as usual.

Man you are always on the reds! Great job as usual! Sheeps have been slow in numbers for sure.

Arun.

Nice feesh guys! Haven't caught any Bulls yet this year.

Great job Steve! Went out sunday, as you know, only managed a couple just legal puppy drum. Was windy and cold.

Quote Originally Posted by samsiam74 View Post
    Nice work and looks like real nice weather!
    Thanks buddy! Say when and i'll take you out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Element View Post
    I hear you on the full moon. Took my poor wife fishing for the first time in months on Saturday. Figured we would hit the beaches up by Amelia where she's from for some relaxing, easy whiting fishing. Unfortunately got there at low tide so it was dogfish after stingray after dogfish. When the tide started coming in we caught some of the smallest whiting I've ever seen before. 6-8" whiting on a 10' surf rod aren't much fun and the action was very, very slow so she didn't have much fun. We still managed enough for dinner and it was a beautiful day.

She decided we should stay up there and try behind Ft Clinch on Sunday since we had a babysitter and that was a complete strike out. In three hours fishing all we caught was one blowfish. The NE winds were a steady 15+ and it was a bit chilly and it was "off" to say the least.

I'm with you... I'm blaming the full moon.
    Atleast you got dinner and some time on the beach. I agree on the full moon topic. Hate full moon days.

Quote Originally Posted by pilingjunky View Post
    Full moon blues. Nice reds though!
    Thanks Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by TightLine904 View Post
    Nice reds...on the fish as usual.
    Thanks dude. we gotta get back on the fish again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by arunram View Post
    Man you are always on the reds! Great job as usual! Sheeps have been slow in numbers for sure.

Arun.
    Hey, I'll take slow with the quality of fish you guys have been getting any day. Nothing wrong with that!

Quote Originally Posted by surfjax View Post
    Nice feesh guys! Haven't caught any Bulls yet this year.
    Thanks. Nothing to it. Just a game of patience and moving around until you start marking fish on the bottom. Knowing the spots helps but Bulls are everywhere in the Inlet.

Quote Originally Posted by ton_e_montana View Post
    Great job Steve! Went out sunday, as you know, only managed a couple just legal puppy drum. Was windy and cold.
    You got some keepers. Nothing wrong with that. Gonna get back out this weekend. Was going to head out Thursday but the wind is kicking up big time. Better
    just wait it out.
    176 SPORTSMAN

I would almost pay for you to show me some spots... Me and my buddy have been skunked time and time again at mayport.. Nothin but rays or sharks.. Had 1 good day where we caught 3 reds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast