Sanibel Tide Question

Florida Sportsman

Banned

Sanibel Tide Question

I am going to be in Sanibel again in May. This will be my 5 trip to the island and as strange as it seems sometimes you don't pay close attention to the obvious. My question pertains to the tide and the direction it runs.

Last year there were a number of Spanish Mackerel at the fish pier that would have been within fly rod distance and a lot of fun but the problem was they were there later in the day when the beach was crowded and casting would not have been a safe endeavor.

I am assuming when the tide is dropping the tide would be running from right to left at the fish pier and that is my question, am I right in my assumption. I think the Snook like to swim into the tide as well and I am just trying to see what the tides will be and also when I want to be on the water. If the winds cooperates, I am hoping to have some good sight fishing chances as I am sure that some Snook will have made it out to the beach already. I was there last year at the same time and did see a fair number of them.

If you are talking about the pier near the lighthouse the falling tide would be going out the pass, left to right.
    I was there a couple years ago and found the tide going out at daylight one day and waded out by the lighthouse and had loads of action from various species (except snook) until it slowed.
    The snook like to hang in the outgoing and wait for shrimp. crabs etc. to pass by. Unfortunately the day I was there the water was a bit dirty and they were not playing.

Banned
    saltybum, thanks, that's what I thought, but like say, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

I was talking about the pier at the lighthouse and going to let to right is what I wanted. It looks like I will have falling tides early in the mornings all week, and now I just need the wind to do the right thing.