Can Anyone provide feedback on Allan Kraken Fly Reels
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Can Anyone provide feedback on Allan Kraken Fly Reels

Looking to buy a fly reel for a 8weight BVK. Narrowed it down to a Lamson Guru or Allen Kraken. Don't know to much about the Allen fly reels. Has anyone used or owned one that could provide some feedback on them?

I had an 8wt kraken for about 6 months now. I'm not experienced enough to give you a real technical review, but I've put a few fish on the drag and it's been fine. The biggest thing to me is that it seems durable. I use it mostly for fishing dock lights at night.

I have never used one, but have seen some of them. I remember thinking that the #3 was a little light in terms of backing capacity at 200 yds......less if you use it with a 9 wt.. One has to be careful with fly lines these days.....some are 100 ft; some are 90 ft.; some are less than that. I would contact Allen and see how many ft. of flyline they measured with. Hope for 100, and then cut off 20 ft. of running line. This will give you a ton of additional backing. This will come in handy because an Allen has a pretty narrow spool. Not necessarily a bad thing, but with more backing (like 250 yds.+), you'll have a significantly larger diameter remaining and a much faster line intake if a fish runs off (say) 100 yds. on you.

Other than that, I do not like sealed drags, if for no other reason that you can't maintain them or in any way repair one. You almost have to have a spare system with you at all times, should something go wrong. In fact, if I were traveling anywhere, I would probably bring 2 spares with me, just in case. Oh....and I don't think a sealed drag would dissipate heat as efficiently as a big wide cork ring. That's just my opinion.

Only other thing I noticed was that I would seriously try to never drop this reel. The exposed rim looks a little light, but time will tell on that, depending on the grade of aluminum used. For only about $200, one might wonder.

All that said, if you will just be fishing the Mosquito Lagoon and Banana River for snook, trout, reds, etc......then you should be fine.
    Last edited by Permit Rat; 03-02-2014 at 04:32 PM.
    .......Rick

I just ordered a kraken XLA..I'll let you know once it get here.

For inshore fishing (for me at least) 200 yds is more than enough backing. If not, use gs and get about 300.
    Fly fishing isn't just a hobby, it's a passion.

Thanks for the input. Cabelas had the TFO BVK Rod and Reel 8 weight on sale for 350 bucks. Couldn't pass that up so it made the choice eaiser.

Quote Originally Posted by barbosa View Post
    Thanks for the input. Cabelas had the TFO BVK Rod and Reel 8 weight on sale for 350 bucks. Couldn't pass that up so it made the choice eaiser.
    Yeah....don't pay much attention if my original post sounded too "negative." For one thing, Amurican is right. For where you'll be fishing, 200 yds. of backing is plenty. In fact, for any dock and mangrove fishing you do, you won't even use the reel, so backing and drag system qualifications go right out the window. For those times, you could be winding your line onto a tin can, taped to your reel seat and still be OK.
    I was thinking more if you wanted to expand your horizons. I believe an 8 wt. outfit is more than enough for any bonefish and most of the permit you'd encounter on the Keys flats. I have taken bones in excess of 10 lbs. (31 inches, whatever that comes out to be) and permit to 23 lbs on my 8 wt. In both instances I was wading and I remember that specifically for the bonefish, things might have been a little hairy if I only had 200 yds. of backing.

Another possible little bit of good news for you, is that in Allan's website, it states that this capacity number, is with 30 lb. backing and there is no way you need that much diameter. I am assuming (foolish of me) that they used Cortland Micron. If you drop down to 20 lb. backing, you'll increase the capacity right there and will maybe have that 250 yds. You for sure don't need 30 lb.

Overall, I think you made a good decision. Only time will tell if these "steelhead" reels will hold up well in the tropical salt.
    .......Rick