Rookie having Trouble with trout and reds

Florida Sportsman

Rookie having Trouble with trout and reds

Spent several weekends in Stuart and Ft Pierce wading the River(west side) looking for Trout and Reds. Using all sorts DOA cals, doa shrimp and weighted float. We are catching snook (not such a bad thing) and jacks. Only the occasional one trout and no reds.

Not looking for the honey holes as much as specific techniques. Plastics?Live shrimp? water depth? grassy bottom, soft muckie bottom?

Any help/tips greatly appreciated

Check out Joupdog1 posts

You can check out some of my previous posts, I wade a lot in the Jensen/Ft.Pierce area. I like the Unfair Lures Rip N Slash. I stay away from live bait as there is really no need to waste money every trip. Grassy bottoms are best, mucky bottom has never been productive for me. There are multiple spots on the west side we fish. Walton, Midway, and Savannah are all good. But really anywhere you can find parking. Walk out to a comfortable depth a little over waist deep and cover a lot of ground. The Unfair Lures Rip N Slash is a great search bait and finds the fish. The docks should be holding reds, especially Midway - North. Good luck, hope to see a report!

Thanks for the tips we are heading out in the am.

Senior Member shallow water assassin's Avatar
    Also try a mirrodean for reds and trout and grass flats during the day hold trout or hit the dock lights at night. Good luck

How'd you do? It was nice out there!

Early in the am we got two good size trout in a grassy area on west side of river (doa shrimp). After 8am seems like bite shut off on everything. We walked couple hours late in evening too but no luck. Are next trip up there will be to east side to test drive that area, try out rip and slash. Were you out yesterday too? I assume you are from Jupiter too? Are you affiliated with treasurecoasttackle??

Quote Originally Posted by Polocorp View Post
    Early in the am we got two good size trout in a grassy area on west side of river (doa shrimp). After 8am seems like bite shut off on everything. We walked couple hours late in evening too but no luck. Are next trip up there will be to east side to test drive that area, try out rip and slash. Were you out yesterday too? I assume you are from Jupiter too? Are you affiliated with treasurecoasttackle??
    I sent you a PM and no, didn't go out yesterday. Went out today and messed around with some big bluefish in the gheenoe.