Tibor Everglades Reel - what rod?

Florida Sportsman

Tibor Everglades Reel - what rod?

I just bought a Tibor Everglades QC Reel. I have been scouring eBay for an appropriate fly rod. I must admit I am partial to Sage, I already own a 4wt and 5wt. I am thinking of going with 8wt and I will primarily use it for bass bugging. I know what a waste... I am thinking about doing some Striper fishing in Georgia also. This is my dilemna: Should I buy a Sage Bass II Largemouth (7'11" 330 grain line) and be super happy with shorter to medium casts. I am worried that if i buy this rod i will not get the distance i need for Striper or if I happen to take a trip to an island, won't be able to use it well for SW critters. If I buy a longer (9') 8wt super fast action rod, like my Sage ONE in 4wt, I will suffer making those short range casts for Bass in the pads. That is my primary quarry. I have looked at G. Loomis Shorestalker, Scott S3S, Sage Response (all in 8 weight) and many Sage and G. Loomis rods on eBay that it is hard to find info on. I have no problem with a rod that is a couple years old as long as it fills the bill. I can not afford to buy 2 rods for this reel. That would be the ultimate but I just can't afford it.

I use a Scott A4 8ft, 8wt for bass and I put an Air Flo Ridge Bass and Musky line on it. Casts great!. But that just means it works for me, your casting stroke is probaby different than mine. But this set up also allows me to make long casts also, so it's pretty versatile for me.
    Not sure if the weight of that reel would affect the balance of a shorter rod, if that makes any difference to you, but I would try and cast all the rods you mentioned to see which one suits you the best, and if bass is the primary fish you fish for, I would find the rod that works best for that fishing, and use it for everything.
    FUIWFG

I
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 02-05-2013 at 09:53 PM.

There is a plethora of rods out there that would work for you. Like they said, go try some at the shop but take and use whatever line you will be using. The Sage largemouth bass line is a different creature than a most standard lines. Since you said you can't afford two rods, I would get a more standard 8 weight rod over the LMB rod because I think it will be more versatile, especially if you are going to use it in saltwater. I've used the Sage LMB in the mangroves, etc. but for out on the flats I think there setups that would probably work better for you. The Everglades QC is a great reel, congrats on getting it. It is actually much overkill for freshwater bass, you don't even need a reel with a drag for LMB so since you are trying to stay with one rod, get the 9' regular rod. Get a "bass" WF line to use for freshwater poppers and maybe a second line for longer casting in saltwater. Kinda rambling, hope this makes sense.

The rest of what I meant: The Tibor is a great saltwater reel, get the rod to match. You can use it ok for bass poppers, then save your money and down the road get the LMB rod and line and a cheap click drag reel for freshwater bass.

Thanks for all the info guys! I think I am going to look for a 9' fast action 8 or 9 wt and them later on down the road maybe get a specialty rod for bass bugging. I think the multiple line idea is good too. I won't be changing it unless I go chasing Stripers or SW critters.

I found a Sage RPLX 9' 8wt 3 pc on eBay and won it for about $140. It uses their graphite III construction. Anyone used one of these? I did some research before I bid and people said they are stiff and need to be over lined. I have a modern extra fast fly rod and it is over lined. You think this older rod would be as fast as a recent model? Probably won't know till I get it.
    Last edited by benthiccracker; 01-27-2013 at 05:44 PM.

with the new lines you really dont need to overline.you can if you choose.that is a great rod you got at great price,wouldnt let mine go for that.enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by benthiccracker View Post
    I found a Sage RPLX 9' 8wt 3 pc on eBay and won it for about $140. It uses their graphite III construction. Anyone used one of these? I did some research before I bid and people said they are stiff and need to be over lined. I have a modern extra fast fly rod and it is over lined. You think this older rod would be as fast as a recent model? Probably won't know till I get it.
    I used to own RPLX rods in 8wt, 10wt and 12wt... The 8wt. is one of the best in the series. Yes, you can overline it, but mine cast like a rocket with 8wt. Bermuda Triangle Taper.

You bought a great rod at a great price... It is all you need and more. Go put some slime on it!

Quote Originally Posted by RCarbon View Post
    I used to own RPLX rods in 8wt, 10wt and 12wt... The 8wt. is one of the best in the series. Yes, you can overline it, but mine cast like a rocket with 8wt. Bermuda Triangle Taper.

You bought a great rod at a great price... It is all you need and more. Go put some slime on it!
    Thank you! I really appreciate the info, I plan to put it to great use.