Backing to Fly Line Splice - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hey Bonefishdick,

I would love to be a mouse on the beach and watch you at Christmas Island as a fish goes over the side and cuts your line off on the coral......Now walk back up to the beach, get your bobbin and thread out and make another ugly knot, and don't forget to "bring your glue" so you can attache another fly line to your backing....I think at that point, you might wish you were a regular saltwater fly fisherman? But then again with your attitude, maybe not?

It seems to me that most of us try and learn more about our passion of saltwater fly fishing, we try to improve, learn new knots, new line systems, new flies etc....then some just stay stuck in the mud. with there eyes closed.

my 2 cents

Carl
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 01-26-2013 at 12:21 PM.

I cut the factory loops off the fly line and install my own made from braided mono on the running line end - for three reasons. One is that I don't trust the welded loops, having had them fall apart in the past; two is that they are too small and hard to get apart when using two pass throughs with a half twist between them to connect the backing; three is that they are bulkier than mine and don't slip through the guides so easily. Of those, the most important to me are one and two.

I use blind spliced loops in the backing as well, and "upsplice" when using hollow spectra to heavier hollow spectra rather than knotting a blind splice loop to double it. That is purely personal preference - I simply don't like knots going through the guides.
    Last edited by clampman; 01-26-2013 at 08:04 AM.

Clampman,

I agree totally with you on the factory loops. My problem with them was, My backing material would cut into the soft coating on the fly line loop, and really look ugly, I never did lose a fly line due to cutting through it, however it sure looked like it would break any minute.

Installing 50# braided loops, then whip finish the ends is the smoothest ride through the guides that I know of. If you use Pliobond it will never crack due to stretching or fatiguing...again just my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

My problem with them was, My backing material would cut into the soft coating on the fly line loop, and really look ugly, I never did lose a fly line due to cutting through it, however it sure looked like it would break any minute.
    I hear you there, Carl. Even with braided mono loops, I like either a thicker diameter backing connecting to it than what single spectra provides, or to double it as you do with a multi-turn surgeons.

But being pig-headed about knots, even though they are inconsequential in doubled backing, I wound up up-splicing JB hollow spectra with relatively short lengths of higher breaking strength JB to increase the diameter of the blind-spliced loop at the end of the backing.

But the REAL problem with knots is those I get in the running line ("a$$holes" as my buddy calls them) when night fishing or caused by wind blowing running line all over, or from not using a stripping basket, or from failing to untwist my fly line periodocally.

And the hell of it is, I know the causes of them, I know the remedies, and STILL do nothing about it - except when sailfishing.

Cheers,
    Jim

Chapman,

I understand what your saying.

As I said before, I use 50 # power pro for backing on all my big game reels. I use the triple surgeons knot (6 times through)
    Then double the line and use a double surgeons knot on the doubled line, that system then looped into the 50# Braided mono loops, is the strongest system that I know of. My buddies and I in Mexico pull on big strong fish all day long, and I mean point the rod at them and pull (our fish come in cross eyed) I haven't had any failures. Now after all that being said.......If anybody knows a stronger and better way to accomplish the same results...I'm all ears, and Chapman like you said "I'm also really pig headed about strong knots" glad to see somebody on this site I can relate with.

Carl Blackledge

Chapman,
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 02-05-2013 at 10:35 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12