Backing to Fly Line Splice

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Backing to Fly Line Splice

I have seen threads on this and other forums regarding connection options for connecting the backing to the fly line. Growing up as a trout fisherman all we ever used was the Nail Knot and it was all one ever needed, In most cases the the Fly Line would be replaced a few years later and in many cases the backing was never to be seen again until it was time to replace the fly line.

The Nail Knot for Salt Water never quite seemed like it would be adequate enough for much bigger and stronger fish. Fly lines were manufactured without loops on either end and loops had to be added thru various means.

With regards to the backing I used the Braided loop as well as whip finished loops and connected the backing via the loop to loop. The one thing I never liked was the way these loops would go thru the guides. When they were going out it was not nearly as bothersome as it was when reeling a big fish in. The loop would make a noticeable impact on each guide and sometimes the resistance almost seemed like it could damage a guide and that always bothered me.

The one thing I like to do is tinker and try to come up with different ways of doing things. I finally settled on a splice that has served me well and it has never failed me yet. I have landed a number of big fish as well as once having a Tuna eat a Blue Fish and nearly spooling me until I just cranked down tight until something gave. The hook straightened out but I got everything back. I have had seals eat Stripers and it has never failed.

This is my splice and it goes thru the guide and you don't even know it is there. I do the splice the same way you wrap a guide on a fly rod blank and coat with Flex cement
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0316rt.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	69240

Not bad, but I for one change my fly lines a lot. I do not store them on my reels in between uses either, so I need to be able to take them off easily.

I use a double bimini loop and use a loop-to-loop to connect them. I whip my own loop in the fly line.

Bonefishdick,
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 02-05-2013 at 09:36 PM.

I posted a SBS for a spliced loop a while back. The problem with splicing hollow core spectra or dacron directly to your flyline is that with repeated stretching, the coating will seperate from the core of the line.

Mr. Dirty,
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 02-05-2013 at 09:35 PM.

That is probably the thinnest method I have seen for that connection, quite innovative. What DOC said about the coating coming off is true for the common PVC coated lines. If you happen to use one of the Cortland polyethylene lines though it shouldn't happen. The method I use may be stronger in that regard but bulkier: large bimini in backing then if for light weight strains I just loop to loop. for stronger fish I put a surgeons knot in the double line making it 4 strands and loop to loop that. I think the bottom line on strength of connection though is to be sure the weakest link is the class tippet so it breaks before your backing connection so you don't lose your whole line.

Banned
    I have tried most different types of loops at the end of the fly line for the connection to the backing but none of them have had less of a bump that will hit the guides on the retrieve than what I use.

The picture is quite magnified but in reality the difference in the backing connection and the fly line is minimal compared to what a loop in the backing with a Bimini and connected to a whipped finished loop or for that matter a commercial loop built into the fly line. I have used the loop to loop method and the amount of tension on the line with a big fish sometimes really can be almost disconcerting to say the least when going over the guides. I just don't like it but it does let you know you have a big fish on, so I guess that is a positive.

Like I said I have never had an issue with one of these including splices on lines including ones that have lasted 5 years or more. As previously stated the weakest link in the system will always be somewhere within the leader to protect the integrity of everything behind it. That I do on purpose for just that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by bonefishdick View Post
    I have used the loop to loop method and the amount of tension on the line with a big fish sometimes really can be almost disconcerting to say the least when going over the guides. I just don't like it but it does let you know you have a big fish on, so I guess that is a positive.
    Trust me, this is NOT an issue, I can say that triple digit Tarpon test tackle to the N'th degree, and it has not been a problem.

Z hunter,
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 02-05-2013 at 09:35 PM.

Banned
    I'm not sure what a Regular Saltwater Fisherman is, but I"m guessing the prerequisite to being one must start with you have to use the Loop to Loop method to connect your Fly Line to your backing and yes my method works for me, very well in fact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast