1/26/2013 - Offshore Sarasota......Red Grouper Limit Out!

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1/26/2013 - Offshore Sarasota......Red Grouper Limit Out!

Mission accomplished for us yesterday. The plan was to limit out (4 people can keep 4 fish each) on Red Grouper before the season closes at the end of the month. We had an older boat wishing to follow us (some history of motor issues) so we wanted to stay as close as possible but still get into some keeper fish. We left the dock at 7:45, broke the pass by 8:30 and were fishing by 9:10 in 75 to 80 feet.

The bite was fast early with my son boating the first three keeper Red Grouper on a Silver Colored Tsunami Facet Jig with a squid tip. Jason followed with the next couple of keeper fish on a deep jig with a large paddle tail and Jack and I contributed also using Tsunami Facet jigs in Glow and Pink. We had 12 keeper Red Grouper in the boat within about an hour when the bite slowed. Over the next few hours we got our limit (16 Red Grouper to 25") and added in a couple of nice Snapper and a Kingfish which hit a Bluerunner on the surface.

We talked with several other boats that ventured out over the weekend who had similar results. Thank you wind and weather gods for a perfect weekend for offshore fishing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3.jpg   2.jpg   1.jpg  

Very nice! Wish I could get out before the close.

Way to go!! Some nice fish there!!

Great job Jeff. Are you changing out the hooks on those facet jigs? I have a bunch of those jigs and have not had much luck with them. I know grouper are not the smartest fish out there but I am wondering if the hook is just too big.

Ryan there is no need to change the hook on the facet jigs. I have about 5 of them and every color especially the glow has caught fish. You have to remember you are going to miss fish when using jugs because they are moving. However The strike are always bad azz!

Quote Originally Posted by perlman1234 View Post
    Ryan there is no need to change the hook on the facet jigs.
    The hook quality has been improved in the updated version of the jig however they still are not the quality I'd like to see. When I talked with the manufacture in October I asked that this could be addressed. Size wise, they are fine. Heck at $6.00 each they are a winner.

As far as colors historically we have liked the Green Glow the best however on this trip the Silver Color out fished Green and Pink early. On that basis I'd be prepared and carry several colors on each trip.

By quality are we talking about strength or shape? You could always switch them out with vertical jig hooks.

Scratch that.... just took a look at them turns out I did switch the hooks out out when i got them. My fault!

Super Job!

I think you might have a convert. Sure beats spending time catching live baits - I'll be ordering the Tsunami jigs before the grouper season re-opens.

Do you have the same luck with gags on the jigs?

How do you fish those jigs? Hit the bottom and reel up slowly? Death wobble on the bottom? Jig it up and drop it back?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast