Does the Sheriff's Office respond to poachers??

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does the Sheriff's Office respond to poachers??

Was wondering if the Sheriff's Offices in Florida will respond to calls of poachers. I have called the FWC many times on people I see poaching and they never show up. I see sheriff's boats most of the time on the water (Pinellas). If I call the sheriff next time will they come?

The FWC will show up if one is in the area, but they are spread out very thin. I have called them in the past and they have showed up in Miami. In my experience, its easier to get them to respond if the poachers are land based or docked at a public ramp, since a vehicle can respond quicker and cheaper than a distant boat. This is also the reason I keep my photo and name off this forum, since I have "busted" several poachers in the past few years in Miami and even Flamingo.

It couldn't hurt to try. Usually the water patrol deputies are in the unit because they enjoy it..most likely outdoorsmen (or women) themselves. They may just be interested enough to respond.
    Don't blink - they grow up fast

Sometimes FWC is spread out to thin. What I do notice is most of them work during the day and maybe have one guy covering from Fort Lauderdale south to Key Largo and he's in a car. Samething with the MD sheriffs department. Those guys are on the water until 4:00 and thats it, unless it's regatta weekend in South Florida. Then they are out til about 8:00 to see all the topless action.

Cat's Eye good job on turning them in. Poachers ruin it for the rest of us.

Thanks... I guess I will just give the SO a shot next time I see poachers. Pisses me off to call FWC and talk to them for 15 minutes then wait around for them and the poachers leave. I always make the call out of site of the violators and then fish while waiting for the cops. Most of the poachers I see are land based though.

FWC in martin county have this lady that answers the phone and argues with you about what you are reporting. Last time I told her to get off her butt quit trying to tell me what I saw. Heck lady I saw it i called you and then you argue with me for 15 minutes?????

I have had more bad experiences with calling FWC than positive ones. But, that should not stop you from trying. Hope you have better luck than me.
    Due to the Current State of the Economy,

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!

i called the hotline one evening when i saw a bowhunter stalking into some privately owned land that is definitely not anywhere near where someone should be hunting and the operator said she'd put me in touch with an FWC officer. 2 min later, 2 officers had called and talked to me, both on their way to where i saw the guy enter. we corresponded for the next couple hours, keeping me updated. never found out what exactly happened, but im sure he was caught since he really only had one way out
    I am choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford Cletus View Post
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron@.38 Special View Post
    FWC in martin county have this lady that answers the phone and argues with you about what you are reporting. Last time I told her to get off her butt quit trying to tell me what I saw. Heck lady I saw it i called you and then you argue with me for 15 minutes?????

I have had more bad experiences with calling FWC than positive ones. But, that should not stop you from trying. Hope you have better luck than me.
    Pretty much the same for me when I call them. Last time I called I had to dial 3 different numbers... 2 were the same dude! Nobody showed up anyways lol.

In Martin/St.Lucie/Okeechobee Co, we mostly use the SO for poachers, trespassers, etc..., if you call FWC they will want to talk to you for 15 minutes, get your information and then an officer might get there in the next 45 minutes or so, always fun when you holding someone at gunpoint. SO will be there in minutes, light blazing ready to work, I stopped called FWC because nothing ever got done, we had a guy conintuously poaching, everybody knew it, we had video, I gave them every bit of his info including his address, nothing ever happened.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast