This cold front helped a bunch! Sails and dolphin here again! Saw 9 sails and 5 mahi

Florida Sportsman

This cold front helped a bunch! Sails and dolphin here again! Saw 9 sails and 5 mahi

Today, I fished a full day sailfish charter out of Stuart and this cold front got them going again. We fished live baits from the kites and then trolled with dredges for the last hour. Our tally for the day was three out of seven sail bites and saw two others that didn’t bite, we also caught two out of five dolphin bites, and kings and sharks took a few baits each. We had good action both trolling and live baiting with the best depth being fro 175 to 210. There was a nice edge out there that the fish were on. The water on the edge was green inshore and blue offshore. There was lots of current, with some scattered grass. We fished till 11:45 before we had our first bite, but once we found the rip, action was good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-photo.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	68523
    Bait was easier to catch today too. It was a lot calmer out there then you would think, but now that the wind has come around more out of the east, im sure it will be pretty choppy tomorrow. They say its gonna lay down for Sunday, so get rigged up, it should be good. Going again tomorrow so I’ll keep you posted as to whats going on.
    Keep it tight,
    Last edited by Off the Chain; 01-18-2013 at 07:45 PM.
    Capt. Scott Fawcett
    Off the Chain / Fly Swatter
    www.offthechainfishing.com

Nice job! Sailfish and dolphin make for a great day!

Thanks for the good report!

I would've lost all confidence if no bites by 11:45, so good job hanging in there and finishing strong.

Islamorada Spring/Summer - Lauderdale Fall/Winter
    Congrats on a great day and thanks for a detailed report!!

Question on kite vs. trolling. I'm assuming you're using circle hooks for both? I'm starting to think that my hook-up ratio is much better on the troll than the kites but I don't get out enough to be sure. Just wondering what you're experience has been?

Nice job Scott.
    Your Southeast Florida Real Estate Resource !

www.HomesOfTreasureCoast.com

www.WaterfrontHomesOfFlorida.com

Quote Originally Posted by INTREPID377 View Post

Question on kite vs. trolling. I'm assuming you're using circle hooks for both? I'm starting to think that my hook-up ratio is much better on the troll than the kites but I don't get out enough to be sure. Just wondering what you're experience has been?
    I'm new to the kite thing, but for trolling with circle hooks for billfish, it's 99% angler with the hookup ratio. I've fished a few of the larger tournaments on some great boats that have placed in top 5 many times and 1rst a few others. Essentially, to win one of those tournaments, you are catching 80+% of your bites. If you are out there and only catching 50% of your bites, you won't be in the money. Many of the guys who are super serious about it practice in places where they get 50+ shots a day (like Isla Mujeres) and perfect the technique...

Quote Originally Posted by Fi$h2nguyen View Post
    Thanks for the good report!

I would've lost all confidence if no bites by 11:45, so good job hanging in there and finishing strong.
    They flew down from Tenn. for sails so there was no giving up. I can't tell you how many days have been made in the last 2 hours though. It can all change in the blink of an eye. During tournaments we've gone all day without a bite then one good turn and you're covered up, another good turn and another covey rise. Next thing you know double digits for the day. Catapult!!!
    Capt. Scott Fawcett

Quote Originally Posted by INTREPID377 View Post

Seems like the hook up ration is much better on the kites, but do to getting jumped by multiple fish at once your hook up to landing ratio might be worse. For an inexperience angler, it is much easier to hook a fish on live bait as a rule. Both styles have there benefits and there down sides, trolling is my definitely my specialty, but over the last 7 or 8 years I. Have really started to appreciate the skill that goes into live baiting. In both styles of fishing it's always the same captains and crews that win. Definitely more than luck either way. Just keep practicing!
    Capt. Scott Fawcett