Tropical line in trout water??

Florida Sportsman

Tropical line in trout water??

I am thinking of getting this line; Rio Saltwater Floating Intermediate Sink Tip Fly Line; for a TFO Professional 6 wt fresh water rod.

WHy?? well a good friend there in sw fl fishes a 6 wt most of the time and I would like to do the same and I would like to use this line as a nymphing line on the same rod this summer.

So anyone ever over weighted this rod (this line only comes 7wt +)? What affect will cold trout stream water have on the line? The reason for this line choice is for itsí clear sink tip.

thanks

chuck

I would say no. If you are going to nymph with an indicator at any distance where you would have fly line on the water, the sinking line would drag down the indicator. Plus you need to lift the rod quickly when the indicator stops or goes under and the line under the water would keep you from doing this. You also will usually need to continually mend your line which would not be possible with a sink tip. Actually, many times when nymphing you only have not much more than the leader out of the rod tip anyway (look up czech nymphing too) so you could get by with any line in this situation but it would limit you in other nymphing situations. Now if you want to fish a streamer on a larger river it may work. Try a Rio Gold or one of the SA trout lines.

One of the things you'll notice about tropical lines is that their made stiffer to handle and cast better in warm waters ( 70 and above ) if youuse a tropical line in cold water you'll find it gets extremely stiff and hard to cast and handle just the opposite of cold water lines used in warm water they become limp and sticky very hard to cast.
    I Flyfish alot of Floridas spring fed rivers ( Santa Fe for example, I Love flyfishing for Suwannee Bass! ) and even in mid 60 degree water you'll notice a tropical line starting to become stiff and tacky feeling, during the cooler months I use Rio Gold line ( designed for coldwater trot fishing ) and find it works extremely well.
    You could probably use the same line under both conditions but you'd be much happier and cast better with lines designed for the conditions your fishing in.

I overline my 6wt TFO BVK with 7wt SA Redfish line for inshore fishing it slows the rod a bit but helps me get out quick casts, you'll prbably see the same effect on the Professional.

Good advice from both posters above. You DON'T want a sink tip for nymphing, and you surely DON'T want a tropical SW line for trout streams. Not sure how you targeted this line (Ebay? Sale?) but it's wrong in every way for what you need. I have that line in a Quickshooter on a 7 wt and it's too stiff for my Fla fishing unless the water temp is in the high 70's, and 80's are better. Below that it coils like a snake.
    Find a full floater in a 6 wt. Airflo's Supple Impact Ridge line is terrific, and Rio makes several.

Great feedback, thanks. Totally spaced out the strike indicator use with a sink tip!!! Won't work.Time for a new plan

chuck

LeeH- Not as much as you would think. I've been using an SA mastery steelhead taper for inshore trout fishing since September (fell in love with the taper on a trip to Gaspe), and it hasn't given me any issues. I favor that line over all others at the moment for delivering big fies to spooky fish.

I go to school in NC and used my salt water line for streamer fishing until November when water temps dipped into the low 50's. I over line my rods up here cause everything ends up being tight casting, this is espically true with nymph rigs where you've got an indicator split shot and two or three bead head nymphs.

I do an awful lot of large mouth bass and peacock bass fishing here in SoEastFL with my 6wt TO BVK overlined with a 7WFF line. I only use about 3-4 different flies: 1/30 oz clousers, gurglers, crease flies, and bunny flies (some weighted). My fishing environment is canals, lakes, and retention ponds. I either wade and/or walk these areas and the line I use takes a big beating all year round as I'm out there 2-4 hours/day, just about every day. Anyway, I could never see using those $60 to $80 lines for this type of "combat" fishing and luckily came across (recommended on Blanton's forum) a very well priced floating line that doesn't coil up during the colder months (down into he 50s), nor does it "limp out" during the hot summer months. A great line to cast that also holds up against wear and tear. Oh yeah, the line is Rio's Freshwater Mainstream Bass line for $40...