1-26-2013 - Port Saint Lucie Offshore Fishing Report:

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1-26-2013 - Port Saint Lucie Offshore Fishing Report:

First trip of 2013. Chuck just flew back into town from CT an zero degree weather so this is a heat wave for him. We want some action today to break off the rust since not being able to make it out since last year.

Decided to hunt for some baits this morning to see what we can scare up in the lights. Hit all the normal spots nearshore with not one bait. Ran to Shrimpers to only find Hornbellies. Tossed a few in the well and headed SE.

We hit the Gulf Stream in 240ft. We dropped in the Ballyhoo Halographic dredge, two Bluewater lures out on the riggers deep. Rigged up two ballyhoos. One with a Purple & red Jr Iland lure skirt and the other with a Hula-Hood. Chuck brought a big lipped plug that he ran down the middle.

He also brought a Wahoo Lure that we put down on the planner that is attached to the cleat. We worked our way back to the edge of the Stream when Chucks blue, black & silver big lipped plug gets nailed down the middle.

I go to clear the starboard short hoo and found that the one month of not fishing has froze up the handle on the reel to where it would turn but the part in our hand would not. I finally work it free and clear the line for Chuck. Chuck reels up the first fish of the day. B O N I T A…

After a quick release and happy to break the ice, we continue southwest from 200ft in search of some weeds when all the sudden the Jr Iland Lure behind the dredge gets nailed by a fin. Chuck works the fish up along the starboard side and I open up the fish box and fling it in.

The dredge kept pulling to the starboard side so I moved it over to the other corner cleat. This now puts the Hula Hood behind it. We continue south and located a large flock of birds tearing up massive schools of flyers.

We work this around hard and about 20 minutes in the Hula Hood gets nailed. A large splash at the surface is all I saw. I dump the line but the fish was gone. I reeled up the half eaten hoo and reset the lure and we continue working the area.

Had these guys cruise by us. It is a great feeling to know they are out here.

We are now almost to Jupiter. With the sloppy conditions we opted to troll to the beach from here and run the beach back north in search of some kings or cobia. On the way there in about 140ft, the port rigger line pops with the blue & white Bluewater lure and its FISH ON.

Chuck reels up a bullet Bonita. We continue west and arrive at the beach and turn north and head to the Hobe Sound Wreck. As we pull up to the wreck it is covered up with bait. Looked like greenies. With a full spread of 5 lines in the water we couldn’t stop and find out so we kept heading north.

We arrive at the Hobe Sound Beach and decided to pull in all the gear and run to Pecks Lake and drop in two small green & white rigs and troll north again back to the SLI. We pass Long aboard the Byte Me as they were anchored up in search of some bottom fish.

Nothing doing on the last troll of the day. We stop just south of the inlet to release the Hornbellies and pick up the boat. Back at the dock at 2:30pm

Today’s Tally
    1 - Fin
    2 - Bonita
    0/1 Mystery fish – Pretty sure it was a sail.

It was great to get out there and go again. Let’s do it again soon Chuck

How did you all make out today?

Tip of the day

Well the tip I was gonna use today didn’t work. I put a sleeved swivel to my planner line to help it slide down easier but the kink in the line would only allow it to slide down to it. I need to buy larger ones so until then, I won’t post those pics until I make this thing work properly.

So todays tip is about things to check (as I found out today) before heading out after you haven’t gotten out in a month. I did check my outrigger clips and disassembled them and found the ball bearings had surface rust on them. I cleaned them up and oiled them along with the flatline clips.

What I did not do is check all the rods. I clean them and dry them after every trip and when you fish every week or every other week there has never been any issues. But what I found today is after a month of sitting, it doesn’t matter how well you clean your gear, they still need a once over before putting them onboard for the days adventure.

Random pics on the day

Last edited by Alwaysforward; 01-27-2013 at 05:35 AM.
    ALWAYSFORWARD, NEVER STRAIGHT...

Nice report, looks a little sloppy out there.

Actually very fishable inside the Gulf Stream. In the Gulf Stream solid 5-6ft seas.

Jeff is back on the water!! Missed your reports. Keep em coming.

.....just lurking...while learning...

Welcome back to the game brotha! Great report! good point on checking rods. Have had this happen a few times.

Sure glad we were able to get out. Was getting antsy not being able to get my offshore fix that is for sure. Here's to calmer seas for us all in the coming days & months
    Last edited by Alwaysforward; 01-27-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Jeff,

Greetings from Brazil...

Looks like it was sporty out there but way to go putting Chuck on some fish.

How do you trip the planer that was tied off to your cleat? Do you have to slow down and then trip it? Also, what type of line are you using to secure the planer?

Thanks buddy.. home tomorrow.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N

The planner has 300lb mono, 30ft long. It is attached to the cleat via rope. You simply pull up the rope till you get to the line, clip one end of a double snap swivel to it. Take a rubberband and wrap it around the mainline 2-3 times and attach both ends of the rubber band to the other end of the double snap swivel. Point the rod tip down the line and let the line out until you get the swivel to the planner.

When you get a bite, the rubberband snaps and you fight the fish without the need to bring in the Planner. When your ready to deploy another bait down to the planner, simply snap on another swivel and rubberband. At the end of the day you can retrieve the snap swivels that have accumulated at the planner.

Hey Jeff,
    Good to see you back on the water.
    we wont be out for a couple more weeks due to schedules, but good to know fish and bait are around.

Shower curtain rings also work on cleated planers -- likely cheaper than double snaps too.

I'm surprised you left the birds feeding on flyers, especially having gotten a bite there. You were the one there reading the conditions, but your reports reads a little like leaving fish to find fish... That is something I try to avoid without special purpose/reason in mind.

I'm envious you got out -- my trailer isn't road worth right now; I'm working on the lights and I'm going to stroke a check for axles and master cylinder.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast