Mosquito Lagoon 1/12/13

Florida Sportsman

Mosquito Lagoon 1/12/13

My buddy Colin that I haven't heard from in over a year calls and says he wants to go take the kayaks out to either the NMZ or Mosquito Lagoon. It just so happens that I have been itching to try and land a red on fly, and the lagoon sounded like the perfect place since I noticed some reports of the water being low. We made a quick stop at the bait store and picked up a dozen jumbo shrimp each just in case we ran into some finicky black drum, or the infamous weekend lure shy ML reds. We launched about 7am to perfect conditions and plan A was to hit a spot that is really nice on low water on the weekends when the lagoon can get crowded since boats couldn't get into the area. As we paddled out we noticed the water wasn't really low, and observed 3 boats heading towards our plan A along with 4 other yackers. We were a little bummed but as I scanned a small bay I noticed some bird and bait activity in some skinny stuff so we decided to creep on over. Colin pushed up the bank and I stayed about 100 yards off and spotted a low slot red on the cruise. I toss a gulp shrimp in its path, and 2 twitches and fish on. Only about 20" but killed the skunk quick. We spot a school working our way, but as they got in range Colin put his paddle in and off they went. 5 minutes later another group comes in and after 4 nice plays with the gulp shrimp and a few with a jerk bait they just move away. They resurface and i send a live shrimp over and another red comes to see me, about 22". We end up with 2 flats boats coming in on us so we decide to go back to plan A. We arrive on the flat with 2 small schools and 1 larger school just milling around. There were 2 other boats in the area, but they were cut baiting well out of range of the schools, and not hooking up. I slowly work towards the closest boat pushing one of the small schools there way. A few minutes later they pull in a nice mid slot fish and send the school back to me. I let them settle and set my sights on a few tailing hard and get the flyrod ready. They get into range and after having one follow my fly a few feet, I made a fly change and speed up the strip and one comes in hard and inhales the fly. It wasn't huge, another 20" fish, but was very exciting none the least(first red on fly). A few more boats polled on in, but the fish already had enough and had serious lock jaw. The cut baiters landed 1 more and that was the only other fish I seen pulled in. Colin made some great plays with live shrimp with no luck. I also noticed some huge trout sitting in some potholes that didn't want anything to do with anything either. One of the trout had to be 30" plus, I thought it was a red until I got close enough to see it clearly and it was the biggest I have ever seen. Called it quits about 12:30 and headed in. Still fired up landing the red on fly, and can't wait to get back out!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1059.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	67664

Nice first red on fly and great report.

Senior Member shallow water assassin's Avatar
    Great report i love the nmz area

Nice Pic, thats on my bucket list to get slam on fly. Congrats on a great red on fly
    Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
    Ned Dolan

Your hooked now! Fish on fly is soooo much more rewarding

Dope Can't wait to get back up to The Goon going to try and make it up more often if weather and time permit!