Crocodile in the Canal - Page 5

Florida Sportsman

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    I would arm the manatees with laser beams on top of the freakin' heads so that they can destroy the crocs!

Quote Originally Posted by aquasport190 View Post
    Will they eat the iguanas?
    Jamaican crocs will!

I agree with Marshnole11.

Do they taste like Gator (or Chicken) ?
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' or 'Undergoing Overfishing'

Quote Originally Posted by marshnole11 View Post
    The problem here is we have a situation where man has unbalanced everything.

1. man kills crocs and almost exterminates them from southern florida.
    2. man protects crocs.
    3. crocs have no natural predator and are breeding and populating at an expedited rate.
    4. croc population is outgrowing its small protected habitat.
    5. crocs enter into heavily human populated areas
    6. croc eats human (its going to happen, dont be fooled into thinking it wont)

there is going to have to be checks and balances here with this issue. we cant have 10-12 foot plus crocodiles inhabiting heavily human populated areas. These animals are going to eat someone, its going to happen, its biology. if you cant see that you are blind. this isnt a feel good song and dance lets hold hands and paint rainbows, this is a prehistoric eating machine that is wired to do two things in life, make babies and eat meat. its been happening for them for millions of years. they aren't going to give us a free pass. What happens when someones kid gets pulled off their seawall. The Same thing that happens to nuisance gators needs to happen to the salt water crocs.

man created this issue and now we are going to have to keep their population in check in certain areas. there is no way around it.

I feel the same way. I live in Islamorada and have several crocs that live in my canal. I used to think it was cool to watch them swim around but now they are starting to come into my yard. I have also seen them along the water's edge facing into my yard as if ready to pounce on whatever comes near. The ONLY reason I can think of for this is because I have two little kids that look like a meal. Obviously they are not allowed near the canal without me around (and even then very restricted). One of these crocs is at least 12 ft long, very capable of causing harm.

I am a conservationist at heart and have defended these crocs in the past. But, just like venomous snakes, when it comes to them or my children...they lose. Like I said before I think they are fascinating, but the truth is that they are killing machines. Somebody nailed it earlier when they said that is the way they are wired. I use to enjoy fishing the canal or feeding tarpon but crocs are attracted so it's pretty much off limits now. The next step is to build a fence along the canal which is happening in February.

Niagara Falls, Canada and Madeira Beach, Fla
    There has been some very limited research into using strong rare earth magnets to repel crocs (and sharks). Could be worth a try.
    2013 Native Watercraft Slayer 14.5 (Sand) - His
    2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 100 (Mango) - Hers

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Jeff P View Post
    I feel the same way. I live in Islamorada and have several crocs that live in my canal. I used to think it was cool to watch them swim around but now they are starting to come into my yard. I have also seen them along the water's edge facing into my yard as if ready to pounce on whatever comes near. The ONLY reason I can think of for this is because I have two little kids that look like a meal. Obviously they are not allowed near the canal without me around (and even then very restricted). One of these crocs is at least 12 ft long, very capable of causing harm.

I am a conservationist at heart and have defended these crocs in the past. But, just like venomous snakes, when it comes to them or my children...they lose. Like I said before I think they are fascinating, but the truth is that they are killing machines. Somebody nailed it earlier when they said that is the way they are wired. I use to enjoy fishing the canal or feeding tarpon but crocs are attracted so it's pretty much off limits now. The next step is to build a fence along the canal which is happening in February.
    FWC is following the same lines as other wildlife departments in other states by using the scripted " they are shy, afraid of humans, blah blah blah, " This has been done before with reintroduction of wolves and cougars. which also backfired in every occurrence without a balanced management approach.

While FWC's rehearsed statement may be true RIGHT now in some cases, its because of the crocs limited contact with humans in the past, as time goes by and they spend more and more time around populated areas this will all change. They will become more and more brazen and unafraid. There natural instinct to feed will eventually overcome any small apprehension they had about humans. The problem is their populations have never been at this level within Florida's modern populated age. Now we take their historical range (the upper keys) and we add thousands of fish cleaning stations located in residential canals and in marinas, we have basically created a endless supply of food they can scavenge. And even though no one is feeding them directly, they are feeding them indirectly and these animals are now associating people with their newly found food source. This is a recipe for disaster as many of us know how this ends with the American Crocs less dangerous cousin the Alligator. Large predator which associates people with food = dead/severely injured human.

Its going to happen, its biology.

Your children, my children, anyone's children are more important than a reptile. I don't care how endangered it is. There has to be a common sense approach to this or FWC's feel good story is going to end badly for everyone including the crocs.
    Last edited by marshnole11; 01-29-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Once they outgrow their food supply/source is when they will change their attitude. Humans will be added to the menu of native food sources. As they over populate the area they will eventually move north and soon they will be up in Dade and Broward county beaches plenty of Kids to eat there. Even humans will eat each other when hungry enough. what would make any one think these creatures are incapable of eating some ones children is beyond Me. Just my Opinion.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\

Quote Originally Posted by keylargo359 View Post
    Once they outgrow their food supply/source is when they will change their attitude. Humans will be added to the menu of native food sources. As they over populate the area they will eventually move north and soon they will be up in Dade and Broward county beaches plenty of Kids to eat there. Even humans will eat each other when hungry enough. what would make any one think these creatures are incapable of eating some ones children is beyond Me. Just my Opinion.
    It seems to me it will take a tragedy for the current policies and politics on the Croc situation to change. It is just a matter of time. Perhaps some ignorant tourist will get eaten swimming in the dark or some local who had one too many and fell asleep in his water lounger or a child will stray to close and get snatched. Weather its this year, next, or 5 years from now whenever it does happen, the policies on how to deal with the increasing population will change very quickly and only then will the naysayers and pro croc politicians ask the question "Everyone knew this was sure to happen so why didn't they do something about this before?". But they wouldn't dare look in the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by marshnole11 View Post
    Your children, my children, anyone's children are more important than a reptile. I don't care how endangered it is. There has to be a common sense approach to this or FWC's feel good story is going to end badly for everyone including the crocs.
    ^That pretty much sums it up and I will even add my dog as being more important than a croc lol

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast