Negative Tides: Nice Redfish - Matlacha

Florida Sportsman

Negative Tides: Nice Redfish - Matlacha

I was lucky enough to have the day free last Friday. Weather was perfect with some light winds and clear skys. My intentions were to sight fish some mud flats on the -.8 tide around 10am.

A buddy and I put in at the Matlacha ramp with our kayaks and made a 2 mile trek to a spot, I hoped would have some tailing redfish.

Trying to approach the spot, we actually had to drag the kayaks across the mud for about 30 yards. We sure didn't have to worry about somebody in a boat blowing by us, at least for awhile.

Made it to the top of the hole and found fish pushing bait all over the place. Made 3 or 4 casts and it was game on with a nice over slot redfish.
    We ended up picking up 6 more nice redfish, a pair of decent snook and a few trout to give us a slam.

Fishing this winter has been a little goofy with the hot weather. Patterns that would normally be happening in mid January aren't really working this year. But the fishing is still top notch when you find them.

I was fishing on the 2013 Hobie Pro Angler throwing the 6" Hogy Skinny and 5" swim baits. All fish were released to fight again.

Ross I was fishng close to there on Sat. I noticed you have a lead head on the Hogy. It was really weedy in that area. Are you letting that lure hit the bottom in all of those weeds, or are you skimming it just over the weeds?

It's very light. 1/8-1/4. It's more for added casting distance. I was Texas rigging for a relatively weed less presentation. I do work the bait somewhat fast, but work the pauses.

Another great post. Thanks for shareing all the important details..
    larrywitt

Nice video man. I love fishing pine island and matlacha. For the weedless presentation were you using a true texas rig with a bullet weight or just a weighted hook? Thanks in anyadvance for any info.

Just a weighted swimbait hook with the hook point buried in the bait's body.