Winter Bass on fly?

Florida Sportsman

Winter Bass on fly?

What flies do you recommend for bass this time of year? I see some posts showing some monsters, no mention of fly catches though.

I'd love to get in on the action but prefer fly fishing. I have all sorts of fly gear and can tie my own flies, just need a push in the right direction.

Also, where should I be looking for them? Spawn beds, deep (like sinking line deep), surface or what?

Any and all tips appreciated, I will post pix if I can make something work. Thanks!

John.
    John.

In my area the fish are already spawning. I haven't caught any big females yet but there was a big uptick in the numbers of 17-20" fish I caught in December. I use a 20' 200 to 250 grain sink tip on a 8 weight. I don't fish a floater much as its rare for me to find them holding in shallow cover. Most are in 3-6 feet and patrolling the edge. A heavy fly is too much work to cast... Here's a fly that works for me -kind of a seaducer/bend back, lightly weighted to flip it over with a weed guard. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2749.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	67759

I like that fly, I had a bunch of success last year in April or so using a deerhair fly on the surface in the same colors. I'll have to try the sinking line, my usual spot is overrun with hair algae so I need to find somewhere else to fish.
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by beyondhelp View Post
    I'll have to try the sinking line, my usual spot is overrun with hair algae so I need to find somewhere else to fish.
    Those guys on the Freshwater forum pull some pretty big fish out of residential ponds. I don't have access to anything like that.
    Are you looking to fish from a boat or from shore? Seems like your close to Lake Okeechobee.

Lake O is close enough to get to but I haven't been in a while. I need to get back out that way. I am hoping to find some spots close to home so I can get more fishing time in. I used to catch small ones in the canal behind my house but haven't caught anything in there since they sprayed about 8mos ago. (not even bluegill)

I'm going to start looking for some places I can reach on foot and go from there. If I can find the time, maybe I'll dust off the kayak later.
    John.

Don't overlook golf courses. The biggest bass I have caught on spin gear was in a golf pond. As long as you're respectful, you rarely get hassled, and many golfers will even ask how you're doing.

It's good to have a few short travel time spots. I've found a few using Google Earth. The search is always ongoing.

Spun deer hair poppers have always worked well for me. I use them with a looped mono weed guard and you can pull it right over and under lily pads, works great. I've never tried much sub surface flies, I get a kick out of that surface strike, and it always seems to do the trick time after time.