Recreation Fuel (Non-Ethanol) Venice Fl

Florida Sportsman

Recreation Fuel (Non-Ethanol) Venice Fl

There is a new land-based site selling 90 octane Non-Ethanol Fuel in Venice in addition to the two SUNOCO stations that already dispense Rec fuel around town. The new place is one of those non-descript, non-brand, small, Mom and Pop places with three pumps. It is located on US 41 just north of the intersecton of US 41 and Hwy 776. It is on the east side of US 41 almost directly across from Bill Buck Chevrolet. Access and egress while towing a boat, either north or south bound on US 41 should be easy enough. There is a dedicated left turn lane in southbound US 41 directly across from the station. The Rec pump is the North-most one of the three with respect to US 41. Today's price for the Rec fuel was $3.79/ gal.

Quote Originally Posted by Comandante View Post
    There is a new land-based site selling 90 octane Non-Ethanol Fuel in Venice in addition to the two SUNOCO stations that already dispense Rec fuel around town. The new place is one of those non-descript, non-brand, small, Mom and Pop places with three pumps. It is located on US 41 just north of the intersecton of US 41 and Hwy 776. It is on the east side of US 41 almost directly across from Bill Buck Chevrolet. Access and egress while towing a boat, either north or south bound on US 41 should be easy enough. There is a dedicated left turn lane in southbound US 41 directly across from the station. The Rec pump is the North-most one of the three with respect to US 41. Today's price for the Rec fuel was $3.79/ gal.
    I Hope people in the area will be glad to hear of a local Mom and Pop store and support them

As I fishing guide with 2 boats (1 that sits while one is 1 being used) I only buy non ethanol fuel when storing my boats. When running them on a daily bases I use ethanol fuel, when one goes into storage it is drained and the fuel replaced with Non ethanol fuel. I know that some will have other opinions' on the matter but ethanol fuel only separates when it is sitting, if it is being burned it has no time to separate. In my experience

Have you tested the fuel to know it is indeed ethanol free?

Capt Andy Boyette how does the fuel "separate"?
    Port Charlotte, Florida
    http://www.rexlantz.com

Quote Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
    Have you tested the fuel to know it is indeed ethanol free?

Capt Andy Boyette how does the fuel "separate"?
    When enough moisture is absorbed by the ethanol fuel to separate.

I hade a dose of it a couple years back. I had to drain the fuel tank into a large open container, it was a humid day with passing clouds every time a cloud passed overhead the fuel would erupt into a near boiling reaction that you could see and go murkery, once the cloud would pass the fuel would settle and clear back up. I believe the reaction was the fuel absorbing more moisture

It is my understanding through researching and my own experience that once moisture is absorbed into the ethanol based fuel it will start to absorb more, so the longer it is left unattended the more it separates causing even more problems. In my situation it caused the inside of the fill hose on one of my boats to fall apart it would not even take fuel, the hose was deteriorated as if it had been chemically destroyed on the inside. The only contact to the fill hose on my boat to the fuel, besides fueling, is the air vent. The air that was circulated from tank to fill hose in a loop had to have been nasty and reacted with any fuel absorbed by into interior of the fill hose.

It was a big difficult job to replace that fill hose I was not proud of my language and possibly invented a few new swear words.

you can contact me if you like more information

BTW I have not tested any fuel to be Ethanol free I have to trust the Dept of Ag and the Fed to insure the pumps are correctly labeled. Federal and state law governs mislabeled fuel and I see those guys there checking pumps including metering all the time

Also I should mention ethanol fuel does offer a lower "energy density less BTUs" so reduced efficiency but the cost of non ethanol is greater than the loss and my fuel bill is GROSS, so my prior suggestion may not make a difference to a recreational limited use boater
    Last edited by Capt Andy Boyette; 01-11-2013 at 11:26 AM.