Educating the young

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Educating the young

Midlands teacher accused of stomping on American flag in class

CHAPIN, SC (WIS) -

At least one parent calls the actions of a Chapin High School English teacher disrespectful and unpatriotic.

The Lexington-Richland District 5 teacher is accused of throwing down the American flag and stomping on it in front of his honors English classes.

When Michael Copeland overheard his teenager talking about what her honors II English teacher did with the flag in their classroom, he pressed for details.

"He drew a couple of symbols, like one of them was a cross, and he said, 'What does this represent,' and everybody said, 'Christianity,'" said Copeland.

"Then he proceeds to take down the American flag, and said, 'This is a symbol, but it's only a piece of cloth. It doesn't mean anything,' and then he throws it down on the floor and then stomps on it, repeatedly."

"I asked what was he trying to get, the point across? And she said, 'I don't know,' and he said, his explanation was there would be no consequences, it's just a piece of cloth that doesn't mean anything."

But there are consequences.

"Our superintendent served in the military, I served in the military for 20 years, our flag is a symbol of our freedom, and so many people have fought and died for that liberty, and so we take this action very seriously," said Mark Bounds, a spokesperson for Lexington-Richland 5.

The lesson was repeated in three classes that day, prompting a full investigation. After an unrelated incident at Dutch Fork where a teacher was suspended for a political sign in her room, officials say teachers know better.

"There is a code of ethics for teachers that talks about professional conduct, and then we tell our teachers that their personal opinion is their personal opinion and shouldn't be brought into the classroom, and so we caution them all the time," said Bounds.

Copeland believes telling students the 50 stars symbolize the 50 states, the red and white stripes, symbolize the original 13 colonies might have been a better way.

"He totally ignored what I consider what would have been an excellent teaching point to just simply throw the flag down and show no respect to it at all and to the people that it means a whole lot to," said Copeland.

The class was told they'd have a permanent replacement for their teacher for the remainder of the year. District officials say the investigation continues.

We've reached out to the teacher, and we did not get a response.

http://www.wistv.com/story/20535938/...-investigation

sad......
    Hoping for better luck next time......

The teacher is right. It was really stupid of him to do that on the job in a classroom, though.

Exactly what was the so-called "teacher" correct about, please explain?
    "I'm not a physicist." ~ ac2020

"It's a shame PACs cannot simply lie and get away with it." ~ SWFL

it's a piece of cloth. it is not illegal to burn it, step on it or use it as toilet paper.

English teacher...figures

Midlands teacher accused of stomping on American flag in class

Teachers accused of stomping.... what has the world come too....

We need a law.....

Banned
    I wonder what he would have said if the students would have tried the same thing with their school books? Is only paper.

Must be a no carry school, so much for the second protects the first.

Should have stomped on the cross draped in the flag instead. And taught under this cloth there should be no consequences.
    Last edited by Plan Sea; 01-10-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: because people cared

Quote Originally Posted by Plan Sea View Post
    Must be a no carry school, so much for the second protects the first.

Should have stomped on the cross draped in the flag instead. And tought under this cloth there should be no consequences.
    someone wasn't paying attention in english class.

Quote Originally Posted by heathen View Post
    someone wasn't paying attention in english class.
    I was enough to know it's English

Bakatchu and put the waving ruler down and get the spit balls off the chaulk board for crying out loud. I await the free speech deniers trashing this man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast