Upgrading, finally! - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I saw a butterfly today!

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Quote Originally Posted by bonefishdick View Post
    Carl,

It is not hard to tell someone what they will like, as a matter of fact, it is easy. I mean get a life, if you watch TV all the adds tell you, but my product, you will love it, it is the American Way,

He did mention he was going to test cast some rods which is good. I also said that the final decision was his and I made merely made a suggestion based on his question. I for one don't understand how you would have a problem with that. I also said he did the smart thing by seeking advice and you seem to have a problem when people respond to a simple question.

We have both been doing this a long time and I have no doubt that if you or I were to pick up any rod that we would be able to cast it and cast it to the best of the rods capabilities. That would be a testament to the both of us. I often tell my students that many low end rods today are equal to or better than what a High End rod was 5 years ago. The technology is getting better and better and 80 or 90 feet on a $150 rod is the same as 80 or 90 feet on a $795.00 rod.

I often tell people to take a look at the Yellowstone Angler Shootout and what you will find it how a $250 TFO rod finished 2nd behind Loomis but it did beat out a lot of High End Rods like the Sage xi3, as well as Winston, St Croix, Redington, Orvis and Hardy. This is an annual review done every year using both 8 weights and 5 weights and is very highly regarded throughout the industry. Is their making recommendations any different than what I did when I made a recommendation based on a rods performance.
    Bonefishdick,

I was being very civil with you, then you pissed me off with "get a life in the first sentence of your post" You went down hill after that, I don't need a chill pill.

You just don't get it do you? One person can't pick a rod for somebody else, Maybe, perhaps suggest "hey you might want to take a look at this rod" . That shoot out thing is all BS.... If the rod "they claim" is number one and I can't cast it as good as number nine, what good does there list do for me? again its all just BS.

I wear Smiths sun glasses, just for your information.

Lets agree to dissagree....
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 01-11-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Banned
    Carl

Finally we agree on something !!!!!! And now we move on, my 2 cents.

I just hope the OP departed this thread a while ago....

PB

One quick comment. Try casting multipiece rods, just in case you get lucky enough to travel to "far off places".

Thanks again for all of the info presented to me in this thread.. Before I knew of a local store that would let me test a rod before I bought it, I did come here for the advice I was seeking. Luckily for me I picked up a new 4 pc Orvis #8 Clearwater in a tip flex which feels incredible compared to the mid flex I was previously shooting. Aside from the rod itself and price, the Orvis warranty sold me.

Thank you again all the info, I knew what I wanted as soon as I picked it up!

Junior Member Harkers Island Tailfisher's Avatar
    Just couldn't let this one pass ----- Carl, why not give these boys some suggestions/recommendations on which fly rod to use for trolling down around Baja when real fly fishing is tough so if they ever decide they want to troll with a fly rod they'll have a step up on those that don't!!!

Maybe some pics of your famous "trolling fly", the Pink Chicken, right???

Boys, go cast the rods whenever possible, pick the one that suits you best and fits into your price range, then go out and get it bent & bowed up as often as weather, money, and the Good Lord will allow ---- it ain't rocket science!

I leave you with this, learned it from a great writer and fine man by the name of Gene Hill ----- "never brag about your equipment or your ability as one is obvious and the other is about to be".

Good Fishing!!!
    Ain't much that's never been done, but there's a ton of stuff that should never be done again!

Thank you again all the info, I knew what I wanted as soon as I picked it up!
    I've also been fly fishing for over half a century and have some advice. Never turn down the opportunity to try someone elses gear out. Your "default" casting style will change over time as you get more time on the rod handle. As that happens, your preferences in line tapers and consequently, rods will change as well.

If you should try a rod where on the first cast, you just KNOW you have to have that rod, make sure you also know what it is lined with.

When test casting rods at a shop, bring your own reel with the line you want to use with you. Dont use the line the store has on a demo reel.

Also be aware that the way an xi2 (for instance) feels in a 9 wt may be nothing whatsoever like what an x12 feels like in a 10 wt. I made that mistake years ago when buying an RPLX 9 wt without testing it expecting it to feel like a mini- RPLX 12 wt. WRONG. One cast with the 9, and I realized what a mistake I'd made.

Cheers,
    Jim

Enough with the personal stufff gentlemen. Lighten up.

I love fly fishing but hate the egos some display on any fly fishing topic. Enough to turn a noob away from the sport.

In the end it is still fishing but some make it sound like they are chunking gold plated flies using a platinum diamond inlaid rod with silk thread backing.

Hate to see where good info turns into a pizzing match.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast