FWC survey all real fishermen need to fill out...

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FWC survey all real fishermen need to fill out...

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JG2XCTR

Pleae don'about tanker me if this has already been posted. If it has, then I'm sorry. However, I don't see it on the front page, and it should be.

I just now found this survey. Most of you probably already know about the "gamefish" and "sportfish" initiative that FWC is currently pushing. If you don't, look into it and you'll be amazed.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

i need more information
    TeamAWE SON!! Fishing
    @team_awe_son
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH2...F5Liyciz6BX0OA

What a waste of time.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...fish+sportfish

Thread above sums it up best...

The essence is that the FWC is considering a rule changes that would create two "designations" for saltwater fish. These designations are game fish and sport fish (an "elite" designation) and at this time are defined as:

1) Game fish: No commercial harvest or possession, no sale or purchase, hook and line only, and zero bag limit for the captain and crew of for-hire vessels; and
    2) Sport fish: No harvest or possession recreationally or commercially, no purchase or sale, and when targeting, only hook and line gear

Initially, no species will be placed in these designations; the placement of species will follow under separate rule making. In english, the FWC will create the "bucket" and put fish species in it separately. BUT, the species being mentioned for game fish are snook, redfish and seatrout and the species for inclusion in the sport fish rule are tarpon, bonefish, billfish and permit. It would seem that most of these are no brainers, but the placement of permit in the "sportfish" designation is causing a good deal of concern. There are some in the Keys and BTT that want the sportfish designation, but what appears to be a larger number want permit in gamefish bucket as they are good table fare and a recreational meat fish, there is no indication that the stocks are in trouble and there was just a special permit zone put in place 2 weeks ago for the Keys and modifications to the bag limit.

The DRAFT rule is described by FWC as:
    68B-2.010 – Game Fish and Sport Fish Designation – The proposed draft rule would create a new subsection that states the intent of the designations, which is to conserve premier recreational fish species in Florida and enhance the marketing capacity for Florida’s recreational fishing opportunities. The proposed draft rule would create a saltwater game fish designation, the components of which would be no commercial harvest or possession, no sale or purchase, hook and line only, and zero bag limit for the captain and crew of for-hire vessels. The proposed draft rule would also create an elite designation for saltwater sport fish, the components of which would be no harvest or possession recreationally or commercially, no purchase or sale, and when targeting, only hook and line gear.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

the fwc can suck it.
    http://www.captain-nate.com/
    "If I had my life to live over again, there are some things Id do differently, but, oh yeah, Id still be a fisherman. No doubt about that."
    Thomas 'Blue' Fulford

Quote Originally Posted by superduper View Post
    i need more information

Our convservation forum is an excellent source, or find it on your own - or don't pay attention like the guy above and take what comes
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi

Survey completed. Thanks for the link

Thank you for posting....survey filled out.

Thanks for the link, PH80. I filled it out, with comments. No offense to the poster who said "what a waste of time", but if we sit by like sheep, fishing itself may be a waste of time if the sport fish designation is misapplied by people whose interests are not in line with conservation-minded anglers who still enjoy a meal of fish that they caught themselves, and not from the display case at WalMart.

If I were king...

9. If the FWC creates a saltwater game fish designation, which species would you support making saltwater game fish?

Gag Grouper, Cobia, American Red Snapper...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast