North Prong of the St Sebastian River 1-7-2013

Florida Sportsman

North Prong of the St Sebastian River 1-7-2013

Decided to take out the Cuda and new GoPro setup and try out the North Fork of the St Sebastian River yesterday. Launched from the Roseland Community center off Roseland Road which puts you north of Dale Wimbrow and Donald McDonald Parks and closer to the railroad bridge which is the fastest way to the north fork.

The day was beautiful flat calm with very little wind. I launched at about 8 am. Started off using a red jig head with a Gulp 3" New Penny shrimp and landed a few lady fish and few jacks.

I paddled all the way NW to the spillway and was followed by a school of dolphin and manatees. Saw a few BIG gators sunning on the banks. Wildlife here is great to see. Manatees would pop up right next to the yak to investigate.

While at the spillway, I changed to my second rod with a mirrorlure hard bait (black silver white) and hooked into a really nice snook 30+". I thought it was a smaller tarpon as she was pulling drag on my sustain 4000. Finally got her to the boat, snapped a pic, and released her.

Only to realize that in the heat of the moment I actually stopped the recording on my gopro and basically got the hookup and that was it!! Ugh, was I pissed when I came home to watch it and I missed it on video.

I made a custom monopod that screws into my PVC rocket launcher for a great overhead angle. I also bought the wifi remote and man is that thing awesome. Works like a champ if anyone is considering buying it.

The pic doesn't do this snook justice, but I included it anyway. Hopefully next time I'll have some better footage to show.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	66856
    Last edited by davederb; 01-08-2013 at 06:51 PM.
    Proud Air Force Vet 93'-00'

2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Nice snook. I have turned off my video camera when I thought I was turning it on a few times.You will have to go out and do it again.

never fished the north fork
    sweet catch
    see any tarpon up there?
    thanks

Didnt see any tarpon there. I have fished the South Prong many times and normally see some juvi's rolling. The north was much better in my opinion. Much more water to fish. I spoke to a guy while near the spillway who was telling me the snook and tarpon are thick at the spillway as are the bass. He told me the caught a 10lb bass there and has been fishing there for about 10 years.

2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Added a video of some of the footage. My first video so be gentle......

2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Your video was great, sure does not look like your first. The angle of the camera was great. I would be interested in seeing the mount you had for GOPRO.

Great job and even GREATER snook.

Here is the mount that I made for my GoPro on my Cuda. The rocket launcher is all PVC and has two rod leashes on it. The GoPro mount is a Targus monopod from target that was modified to use the Gopro tripod mount. It's extendable to 5' and had a PVC thread on that screws into the rocket launchers female thread into fitting. I use the Gopro wifi backpack and remote and don't need to worry about touching the camera most of the day. Hope this answers your question.

Views:	79 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	67050

Views:	80 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	67051

2014 Hobie Pro Angler 12