Foggy Snapper and the unrelenting Rudderfish

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Foggy Snapper and the unrelenting Rudderfish

My buddy has been working for the last 14 months restoring an '85 Dusky. Some of you may have actually seen his thread on the Hull Truth. well, he finally got it complete and after a quick sea trial last Friday to make sure it floated and ran as desired, we decided to take her out for the maiden fishing trip. Left out of O'Neill's at 8ish and the fog was still thick. After a slow trek out of the bay through Pass-a-Grille, we finally were able to get up to speed and head 30ish miles west. seas were a bit sportier than the forecast called for, but we pushed on with hopes they would lie down as advertised. Got to the area we wanted to fish and came upon a spot that lite up the bottom machine about .5 miles from our intended stop. We dropped down some sardines and it was game on with the Mangos and Yellowtails. We boated 4 or 5 within the 1st 10 minutes and then the rudderfish hit us. We couldn't get away from them.
    For the next 5 hours we tried everything to get the baits past them, but only had luck when the school decided to swim away. Ended up with 14 Mangos, 3 Yellowtail, more rudderfish than you can count, a grunt, a big porgy, and two big sharks brought boatside and "released". weather cleared out for a bit, but them the fog started to roll back in so we decided to call it a day. headed back with a nice cooler of fish and a few firsts. My buddy's son had never caught a Mango snapper before. Not only did he pop his Mango cherry, but he caught the two biggest of the trip, both weighing in at 5.5 and 5.6 pounds respectively. We also had the 1st father/son Gag double header and my wife caught her very 1st Yellowtail.
    All in all a great day and the new boat exceeded all expectations in regards to getting us out and putting us on some amazing fish.

EPIC Marine Manufacturing. Makers of affordable, quality Engine Brackets, Swim Platforms, Fuel tanks and other customized marine products. http://www.epic23.com/

Last edited by Navy_Fishing; 01-06-2013 at 10:40 PM.
    EPIC Marine Manufacturing. Makers of affordable, quality Engine Brackets, Swim Platforms, Fuel tanks and other customized marine products. http://www.epic23.com/

That's a great day of fishing!

Wow those are some nice snaps! Excellent pics as well, great clarity.

Cool. I didn't know Snapper drank Bud. Learn something new every day.
    The two best times to fish is when itís raininí and when it ainít. ĖPatrick F. McManus

Nice Flag William...that's a great dinner.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln

We're frying them up tonight, well at least the Mangos. Still not sure how I am going to prepare the YT for the wife. The Dusky runs like a champ. I love the room to fish in the back. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	481499_173472726131340_1194176221_n.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	66797

Quote Originally Posted by Anclote Key View Post
    Cool. I didn't know Snapper drank Bud. Learn something new every day.
    What else would they drink?

Nice day out, how do you cook the rudderfish?

The rudderfish are always gifted to my Filipino friend who's mom has a receipe for any type of fish. I also gift him the Porgies and Grunts. We had the mangos tonight and I even thawed out 2 pieces of my Halibut, which is by far, the best fish I have ever eaten.
    Last edited by Navy_Fishing; 01-07-2013 at 10:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast