Fly Fishing The Surf

Florida Sportsman

Fly Fishing The Surf

Anybody ever done it.

Was thinking of trying it on very calm surf days up here in the Panhandle for whiting and pomps but can't ever recall anybody doing this.

If anybody has what would you recommend for fly patterns, shrimp seems the natural choice but have thought about trying to duplicate a sand flea for a pattern.

Senior Member ShallowExpectations's Avatar
    Fished the surf for other critters but not those two. I do fly fish for pomps in deep cuts along the flats of my home waters. We just throw crazy charlies and catus petes on an intermediate sink line. I'm sure you can do the same if you have the fish located in a general area.

Size #4 Pink over white clousers on an intermediate line. Let it sink over the deep side of the sandbar and slowly strip over the bottom. This combination has worked for me for Pompano off Cape San Blas.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamprat View Post
    Anybody ever done it.

Was thinking of trying it on very calm surf days up here in the Panhandle for whiting and pomps but can't ever recall anybody doing this.

If anybody has what would you recommend for fly patterns, shrimp seems the natural choice but have thought about trying to duplicate a sand flea for a pattern.
    FF in the surf many times in South FL, only once in the Panhandle. The Orvis shop in Destin was very helpful with technique and location. They recommended shrimp flies and clousers as basic flies. You will probably want (need) a stripping basket (dish tub and bungie cord is a good start) and a step ladder is pretty handy too (recommended by the shop and it did make an awesome difference especially if there's any kind of swell and you're trying to fish the outer drop off).

Senior Member ShallowExpectations's Avatar