Looking for Sheepshead at the causeway reef 01/13/2013

Florida Sportsman

Looking for Sheepshead at the causeway reef 01/13/2013

Some of my biggest and best sheapshead fishing has been at the reef in the past..Bait was frozen shrimp not my favorite but it can work and it was free..Key is to anchor right over a good pile with about a 5 ft relief..we got to the first spot after circling about 15 minutes got close but not right on,waves and current were moving us off the number first one over is a keeper and only keeper smaller sheeps and mangrove snapper go well fed. we must have re located 6 or more times at different piles,could not get closer than 15 to20ft to the pile not good, i like to see the pile on the sounder as we fish.
    final tally keeper.
    Red fish
    Flounder
    Sheapshead
    Mangrove snapper
    Plus
    Grunts
    Goliath grouper
    And a rod breaker that hit a small grunt that broke the holder and straighten the circle hookClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0830.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	67834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0832.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	67835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0834.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	67836
    Sorry for the dirty lens..
    Had flounder for dinner with toasted almonds.
    larrywitt
    Last edited by larrywitt; 01-14-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Nice job Larry!

hey ! sounds like a decent day...nice mix! there's no better day than being out there bending a rod. Oh! ya need to check the lens before shots! He He He

nice catches! I was out there on causeway reef 2 weeks ago and sitting right on a pile with a fishfinder full of fish with 6 poles out with cut ladyfish, whole pin fish,shrimp,squid,pilchard,and cut mackeral. To my surprise I didn't get 1 hit all of 5 hours I was there...spent most of the time catching macherals with a yo-zuri..lol.

Not sure how often you reposition.We will reposition 5 to 8 times till we find a active pile. No fish in 30 to 40 min. time to move or reposition on same pile.We may drop three markers to pinpoint the fish and stay up tide of the pile. Not an easy trick wind and waves going opposite direction..
    larrywitt

Nice work LW

Yea I got you, I try to do the same but that day there must have been atleast 8 boats out there, you know how small that pile is , especially with 7 or 8 other boats trying to get spots, lol. Next time I should try to get out there during the week when no one is out...