I Think the Sails Use the Mayan Calendar... S.L.I. Plan B. for Off the Chain.

Florida Sportsman

I Think the Sails Use the Mayan Calendar... S.L.I. Plan B. for Off the Chain.

The last two days off of Stuart have been pretty hard, unless you wanted to catch bonita. Yesterday I fished a full day targeting sails. We fished from the N 27.16.00 up to the wrecks N 27.21.00 between 200 ft. and 75. We jumped one off in the morning (125 feet), and then had one all over the teaser for a while (150 feet), but the bonita were so ferocious that we could not get a bait to him. We saw a number of floppers ranging from 90 to 160 feet, so there are some fish around, but they definitely were not eating for the most part. There were a few sails caught about 20 miles North of the SLI in 125-160 feet, but it wasnít good enough to run all the way up there. We ended the day catching some Jacks, and seabass, which we let go, and caught a couple out of a few nice lane snapper. It didnít take long for the cudas to find us though, and then we could not get a fish to the boat. I didnít miss not having my camera till we boated the first Lane, there are some nice ones out there, might have to target them a little more.
    Today was a ĺ day targeting sails again, we trolled the same areas that we saw the free jumpers the day before but the floppers were gone and we didnít have any luck. The highlight of the morning was seeing a Ocean Sunfish free jump a handful of times on two different occasions. On the second encounter he launched three times not even 50 yards from the boat. Always cool to see those things air it out. After hearing how slow sailfishing was up and down the coast we decided switch gears and put a little dinner in the box.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-DSC_0005 (2).jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	65964Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-DSC_0004.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	93.2 KB 
ID:	65965Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-DSC_0003.jpg 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	65966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-DSC_0007 (2).jpg 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	65967Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5-DSC_0008 (3).jpg 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	65968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-DSC_0009 (2).jpg 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	65969
    We kept one out of a couple of AJs an Almaco Jack and a few nice sized trigger fish. The sea bass were big and biting good, too bad we had to let them go, there are some knot-heads out there. We went back to trolling, hoping for a sail, but they still didnít want to play. There were a number of boats that ran up to where the sail action was yesterday, but the best I heard of was a boat catching 1. At least it was calm. Looks like tomorrow might be a little better though. The wind is supposed to come around out of the North, which should help, and after the last two days they have got to be hungry. We are fishing through Monday, but looking to fill the 8th, 9th and 16th, they say Monday itís going to blow hard out of the North, so I expect great fishing for it and on Tuesday and Wednesday as well.
    Talk to you soonÖ
    Capt. Scott Fawcett
    Off the Chain / Fly Swatter
    www.offthechainfishing.com

Good report capt. Good luck!

Wish my boat could handle those bigger seas !! Guess I'll just wait for the Cobia run ..

Tight Lines..

Quote Originally Posted by summer daze View Post
    Wish my boat could handle those bigger seas !! Guess I'll just wait for the Cobia run ..
    I think you would have been fine today, but you can alway charter me for corner trips. There was a little bit of a cobia run today, just North of the SLI.
    Congrats, Nice rig, enjoy it!
    Capt. Scott Fawcett
    Off the Chain / Fly Swatter
    www.offthechainfishing.com

Nice job... Thanks for the info...