Reel Advice - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reel Advice

Take your own advice Carl, go fishing!! And enjoy the day too!! Have a great trip to Mexico !! LOL
    FUIWFG

Carl B,

What is your take on Galvan's Torque lineup for saltwater use?

I'm going to take this thread back to the OP's original question...

There are a lot of reels out there that meet your requirments - typical Florida inshore fishing....

You don't say where you're located or if there is a local tackle shop/fly fishing shop. If there is, pay them a visit (bring your rod) and explain to them what you are looking for and your budget. They might have a used/demo reel they're willing to get rid of, or another customer may be selling a reel on consignment...

In addition to the Orvis reels, look at Ross Reels. In particular the Ross CLA 4 (Cimarron Large Arbor). Retail is $250. Ross makes a nice reel. Put a 8wt WF floating line and 20lbs dacron backing and you're in business.

http://www.rossreels.com/reels/cla.html

You can also go on line and google <Scientific Anglers Sytem 2 reels>. I use a SA System 2 7/8 reel quite often. It's not as nice as my other 7/8 reel, but the drag is smooth and steady; and will handle any speckled trout, redfish or snook around... You should be able to find a tackle shop selling one on line for around $150.

http://buy.scientificanglers.com/lim...2-reel-78.html

PB

Quote Originally Posted by RCarbon View Post
    Carl B,

If it;s not an Abel or Tibor, it ain't worth using in the salt . I'll save Carl the trouble...
    FUIWFG

I guess my Nautilus FW 7/8 is a pos then? Even if it did land a 42" redfish after a 30 min battle and taken into the backing several times.

Quote Originally Posted by RCarbon View Post
    Carl B,

Mr Rcarbon,

If your going to buy a Galvan to fish a few times a year, in the salt, Maybe for Sea trout, or Redfish which I think or dogs as far as fighters, I guess it would be OK, If you plan to fish for some real azz kickers, I would step it up a notch and buy a full time saltwater reel, hopefully with a big cork drag and one that is impervious to saltwater. There isn't a fine line with saltwater reels, whereas one works and one doesn't, The heavyduty (better made) saltwater reels will do the job in stride, whereas a lesser reel will not, and if it isn't in tip top shape it will fail. the above is only my 2 cents...you might just have to go through a few lesser reels? to learn, I know I did...good luck

Carl Blackledge

Saltybum,

I'm really happy you caught a 42 inch redfish, Just about any saltwater fish will take you into your backing if you let it. I don't think that one catch was any kind of a test for any kind of reel. I was in Marathon one year, catching little tarpon and bone fish, we found some redfish and I caught a few (what dogs), of course compared to the bones and poons the reds were a joke...maybe that wasn't a good test either for Redfish? Good luck with your Nautilus

Carl Blackledge
    Last edited by Carl Blackledge; 01-05-2013 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    If it;s not an Abel or Tibor, it ain't worth using in the salt . I'll save Carl the trouble...
    Your having way too much fun with this

Oh Carl your my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeH View Post
    Oh Carl your my hero.
    LOL
    FUIWFG

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast