Reel Advice - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reel Advice

$100 dollar garbage reels

bonefishdick,

My post wasn't pointed at you, It was answering the post directly above mine, just like the regular protocol. You must have been dreaming about your mirage reel?

Carl

I think that Carl is of the mindset that if it's not an Abel or Tibor, it cannot be used for saltwater, but I could be wrong. The Ross, Orvis, and Lamson reels will serve you just fine. And you don't need to spend a bunch of money to flyfish in the saltwater.
    FYIWFG

Acesover,

Actually I think a guy should use whatever reel he wants too, However if he's going to start fishing in the saltwater regularly or call himself a saltwater guy, why buy or use a "saltwater want to be reel? " Just cry once and buy the right tool, You won't see any of the popular Tarpon guides or the tournament guys or anybody else for that matter that claims to be a saltwater person useing $99.00 reels successfully and worry free, Yea I know I come on pretty rough sometimes about just buy an ABEL or TIBOR, however you know I'm right.

I fish In Mexico for 30 days straight each year, I catch big crazy mean fish all day long, including Marlin-Sailfish, giant Dorado and big Roosters...I NEVER touch my reel till I get home, I usually just spray my rod and reel off everyday, then service all them when I get home, I have never had a problem. Now bring your $99.00 special down to Mexico and give it the same test.....I spend a ton of money to go on all my trips just like everybody else does, I don't want my trip ruined by a reel failure or maybe lose a fish of a lifetime cause, I was a penny pincher on my gear, If the Cheapie (garbage) reels worked, Abel and Tibor would go out of business, buy the right tool for the right job, then go have fun....my 2 cents

I can't wait to see how you guys spin this message around now...lol

Carl Blackledge

Carl, I don't think the OP said anything about going marlin fishing in Mexico, or wanting to call himself a 'saltwater guy'. And I am sure there's a guy out there with a rack of Charlton's that would call your Abel's and Tibor's garbage. To the OP, my recommendation would be to try to stretch your budget just a bit further if possible, and get a Nautilus FWX 7/8. It's perfect for what you are talking about doing and can hang with just about any reel double or triple the price, with great customer service/warrantee. Some fly shops will even throw in a free line and/or backing when you buy a reel, so if you look around you should be able to be all-in for around $300 with a top quality line, which is important. Good luck!

dpreston,

I was answering the post above mine about my mind set...and simply explained my feelings...and PS Mako's ramp up way too fast to compare to an Abel or Tibor....Why pay $300.00 for a want to be reel, when for that much money you could buy a good used "REAL" saltwater reel?

Carl,
    The original post was about fishing inshore for reds, trout, and snook, not offshore, so any of the reels mentioned will do just fine, and will be in the price range mentioned. And what do you mean by " Makos ramp up way too fast to compare to Abel of Tibor" ? Nothing wrong with Nautilus, Ross, Orvis, or Lamson for the fishing th OP mentioned. And they will be in the price range he stated, and they are "real saltwater reels" Around here, I see WAY more Nautilus, Orvis , and Lamsons being used than the Abel or Tibors in the salt and they do just fine. I own a Billy Pate direct drive Bonefish that I an going to sell as it's too heavy for my taste, but it's a nice reel anyway. So no one is spinning your post, just stating their own opinions, just as you have done.
    FYIWFG

Banned
    Carl. First things first, I want t apologize for not paying closer attention to what you said, I went back and reread you post and I did see that you were referring to the previous post preceding yours.

That being said, I really was trying to keep my reply related to the original question with the budget limits in mind, The market is full of High End reels that would be capable of handling the type of fish I have seen in the pictures that you have posted on more than one forum but that is not what he is looking for.

I think that the original question has been answered and we need to let that remain the focus of the question, all the other comments at this point are only clouding the issue and taking away from what $250 reel suggestions he was looking for.

I would also like to add one more reel by Orvis for under $250 and that would be the Hydros for $225.

Bonefishdick,

This is just a fishing site, we don't need to be taking anybody's advice personal, no apology required, I think we all have freedom of speech and should be able to say mostly what we want.

I'm one of those guys that hates to buy cheap tires, cheap cars and cheap fishing gear, The most expensive isn't always the best, however in saltwater reels it is, I only want to buy a good reel once, I don't want to keep upgrading, If I decide I'm going to be saltwater fishing for a long time, and I 'm, just buy the best and be done with it, when your out on an expensive trip the reel is just another thing you don't have to worry about. I had my share of cheap junk reels in my time, I have had the reel handle fall off, had the spool lock up, even had the drag button fall in the water while fighting a fish, my opinion of buying the best didn't come cheap, I 'm only trying to help out some new young guy, who might think cheaper is COOL, It's not in this case...my 2 cents

Carl Blackledge

Banned
    I was hoping my last comment would give you a clue to end this, however that did not work with you. It seems you agenda to express your opinion is now much more important than what this original thread was all about. I would suggest you go and read the original post and limit your comments to the question which is what I tried to do.

We all buy the best we can with what we can afford and I think you are really jumping to conclusions to assume that you think that you feel he is trying to buy cheap because he thinks it is "Cool". That is insulting. I think he is trying to spend his money the best way he can by seeking suggestions which is the smart thing to do . What you have offered is not helping him at all at this point.

I would not be surprised he has given up even looking at this thread.

This is my two cents and if you still feel the need to reply again, have at, it but I'm done.

Bonefishdick,

I was giving you-him and anybody else that could read my opinion, Just like you did, why don't you relax, and take some of your own advice? maybe go buy another Orvis reel? and again don't let all this crap go yo your head, It's just a cyber fishing site. enjoy the day.

Carl

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast