Ocean worthy flats boat

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ocean worthy flats boat

Hi, I had a general question about flats boats. I was wondering everyones input on a make/size flats boat that would also be ocean worthy on calmer days to chase tarpon on the beaches etc.? I appreciate the responses.

I see all kinds of flats boats out off the beaches DURING THE FLAT CALM days in mid summer. Just about any make/model will do for those days, just make sure you have enough motor to make a hard run back in if it got sloppy on ya. I've had a 15 1/2 cobia skinny hull center console out there on a calm day but I wouldn't even consider taking our current flats boat out there no matter what the weather. It's a '97 Fin & Feather microskiff. If you want a "do all" boat go for a shallower hulled type bay boat. They float skinny enough for the flats and still take some chop pretty well. I've been out to Pelican in a Triton LTS240, fairly shallow running boat but handled the flats and nice days offshore equally well. Plenty of room to breath in that boat too.

Had my 16 foot Hewes out many times past bouy 2 and all over hunting cobia. Watch the weather and don't take chances.

I run my 17 Maverick MA 8-10 miles off Stuart in the summer all the time. No biggie, just pick your days and watch the weather.

Sea Pro SV 19 or SV 21

I take my Action Craft 1720 up to 13 miles offshore Ponce on perfect weather days. Prior to my AC, I had a bay boat. Although I generally liked the boat, it never really did one thing good. It drafted too much to fish the Lagoon properly and wasn't big enough to go farther offshore. Now I can pole the flats, fish the inlets and beaches, and fish some of the closer reefs <13 miles out and I'm extremely happy with it. There's a fella that's selling a sweet Action Craft 1890 in the classifieds that would be perfect for multiple applications. http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...90-Flatsmaster
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/image.php?u=276&type=sigpic&dateline=1307410685

I've been about two miles off Patrick in my 12 ft aluminum V hull a coupe of times. It's all about being smart and watching the wind and weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Alleni View Post
    I've been about two miles off Patrick in my 12 ft aluminum V hull a coupe of times. It's all about being smart and watching the wind and weather.
    my dad fished a 13' whaler in the 1970's off Mayport for tarpon. I have seen flats boats at the weather buoy and a pontoon boat at 8A, I guess as the saying goes whatever floats your boat.

I've had my 97 Mako 171 out 10 miles offshore. Definately have to pick your days though and make sure you have anough power to get through some of these inlets.

Banned
    IMHO flats boats and offshore hulls are mutualy exclusive.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast