Anclote power plant

Florida Sportsman

Anclote power plant

Went to the plant yesterday with a buddy and got 15 of these guys!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356784790.181796.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	64758 could of stayed all day and got more but we didn't feel like filleting anymore. Does anybody have a good recipe? All we caught on pink and white goofy jigs tipped with shrimp.

Good Job on the pompano.Did you fish from a boat or the land.I got one of my first pompano on a topwater a few weeks ago that weighed 5lbs.The best recipe for the pompano is to make fish tacos and cook it in a pan on the stove with blackening or have a orange glazed sauce to cook it with in the oven.I have also had the pompano with a crushed dorito crust.Hope that helps.

Pompano is such a great fish that less is more. The best way to cook them is to first pan sear them. Get the frying pan extra hot with a very thin layer of olive oil. Sear it for a minute or two on each side. That helps to seal the flavor in. Then you transfer it to the broiler to finish it off. Each broiler is different so you need to figure out how yours performs. I would guess that you'd finish it off in the broiler for about 3 minutes. That helps to give some texture on the top surface of the fish while ensuring its cooked thoroughly internally.

As far as seasoning, I'd keep it simple. Maybe a light dash of sea salt and garlic powder (before pan searing). As a finishing touch I always put a thin sliver of sweet cream butter on the fish before broiling. This will turn out perfect for you. Fresh high quality fish like pompano doesn't need anything fancy or you'll detract from the fish. Enjoy!

P.S. You should have stayed all day. Trips like that don't happen very often. Great job!
    Last edited by RMD; 12-29-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Chef RMD!

Nice work. Heading up there monday

what RMD said
    1976 SeaCraft master Angler - Merc 200 XRi

The best are fish tacos.Pan cear it with butter and blackening and make salsa and cut up mango and pineapple then put some hot sauce on the taco.Best tacos ever!

Lol, overslot are you offended?

Perlman... the weather up here has been absolutel awful. Cold snowy and literally pitch dark outside by 420. When we're stuck inside all day, that gives us plenty of time to (try to) perfect our cooking skills! Why dont you get out there and catch up some pompano so you can save some for me when I get down there in 2 weeks?

Still got some cobia for you... its windy as hell. There hasn't really been a good day in a while and I do not feel like freezing my *** off right now. However I might do some next week..