Why are gun-related death rates in the US so much higher than in similar countries - Page 10

Florida Sportsman

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    exposing idiots that encourage entitlement
    of all the developed nations we are the most free and the most violent

To solve gun violence you want to ban guns? What are you going to take away to stop rape? A lot more rapes per year than gun deaths. How many kids did Sandusky destroy? Didn't hear about him getting castrated. That's right, he was put in prison. How about enforcing the current laws around firearms. I am temporary living in Illinois and all you have to do us look at this state as a model on how additional laws don't work.

Why are gun-related death rates in the US so much higher than in similar countries ?

My guess is that if you took out the statistics for gang-related and deaths during the commission of a felony you would find that the US stats aren't all that bad when compared to other countries. If you also disregarded the stats for the welfare families and their progeny the US might come up looking pretty good when compared with other countries. Since most of us don't live in areas that are riddled with the above groups we don't see the effects of all that in our own neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister-Jr View Post
    If more firearms equates to a safer country, the United States should be the safest country in the world. Sadly, that does not seem to be the reality.
    We are the safest country in the world. When was the last time we were attacked???? Sorry another loss for mr.

"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass." is a quote by Isoroku Yamamoto, Commander-in-Chief of the Imperial Japanese Navy during World War II.

exposing idiots that encourage entitlement
    it takes blood to stop Tyranny. Don't believe me ask the countries that Americans have shed their blood for

Yup it would be awfully hard to invade us, if not because of our geographical location which is negligible these days but because of our armed populous. Makes us safe against a foreign threat for sure... just not ourselves.

Senior Member Gary S. Colecchio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drkptt View Post
    I almost made the same mistake and typed 'infectious' disease. I think you'd agree that the CDC's mission covers cancer, diabetes, arthritis, birth defects, etc.

They also study traumatic injury. I see no problem with the CDC researching gunshot wounds. This would include emergency response and treatment methods. It would also include surveys of the frequency of this type of trauma, which would impact staffing, training, and equipment decisions in the same way that the frequency and severity of auto accidents is studied. Yet the NRA's political threat to the CDC's funding has a chilling effect on studies that ultimately save lives and may not be used to promote gun control regulations.
    I'm going to disagree with you not because I think you are wrong in that those things may not be necessary, but I don't believe that mission creep is what any agency should practice to grow it self. And as you know it was established to combat mosquito born infections of malaria. In fact, I would guess that most people would not guess that they did all those things and were instead monitoring global health conditions on big TV monitors looking for geometrically multiplying contagions as portrayed in the popular fiction.

I'm not going to ascribe any motivation to Mr. Dickey as Salon (which sells magazines doing) is doing. Instead I will give him the benefit of the doubt because I would have done the same thing in his position without encouragement or lobbying .

As far as the CDC effecting or influencing local governing outside of communicable disease, like trauma care I see none. Maybe Dr. Kayak Joe or Dr. Ray or Dr. Scrubs or Nurse Holt can point to it?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

Quote Originally Posted by got ants? View Post
    While the actual percentage of blacks to whites is smaller, and the percentage of crimes of blacks versus whites is higher, then the per capita is a greater number in blacks versus whites. That IS exactly what that study showed.

This is not eschewing facts nor numbers, but plainly stating them.
    exactly
    whites commit more violent crimes than blacks
    more homicides and rapes are committed by whites than blacks
    and as far as mass murdering shooters
    well, just look at the news

Not per capita though... therein lies your scapegoat.

no, not per capita (except mass killing)
    but the actual numbers are higher

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast