Florida Cougar Facts..

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Florida Cougar Facts..

Last night I read one of the greatest post from someone who has a lot of heart for the Florida Everglades,and is tired of them not listening to them.

Here's a quick quote from one of the biologists who is an authority on Panthers.. "You can't simply relocate the panthers. It's not an option for us," Horadam said. "Each male panther takes a territory of over 500 square miles. If you move one you will move it into another male's territory and they will fight to the death. You can't move them like bears."

THE QUOTE BELOW..

Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission commissioner Ms Priddy is 100% correct in stating that having 240 more panthers North of the Caloosahatchee is NOT "Realistic" *. Actually proper management of 240 of these cats in either area North or South of these areas designated in Florida is blatantly impossible and the agencies know it but won’t state it publicly because do so would be very bad for agency staff’s paychecks and job security.
    Everyone should thank FWC commissioner Ms Priddy for speaking the truth. It is very refreshing for this Floridian to hear it publicly.
    If one uses the panther program's lead agency US Fish and Wildlife Service's own figures that state each panther needs at least 75,000 to 150,000 acres to roam as per pg 261 of the Everglades Headwaters Refuge's Draft Environmental Assesment simple arithmetic proves the point. Of course they actually say in their draft assessment that the 150,000 acre refuge would only be good for 1 or 2 panthers which I interpreted to acres. Then I took and used the lower 75,000 acre per cat acreage requirement to do my calculations in order to give the agency the benefit of the doubt and to prevent anyone claiming I attempted to spin the results.
    There is only 6.5 million acres between the East and West coast urban areas South of Lake Okeechobee. That sounds like an immense area but when one divides it up by 75,000 acres per cat (as per government data) the answer is 86. That 86 figure is the maximum number of cats the 6.5 million acres of land will properly support (according to the agencies in charge) yet now State and Federal agencies finally acknowledge there are 160 cats within that area. According to agency data 12,000,000 acres should be available for the 160 cats they admit to currently. That verifies Darrell Land’s recent statement quoted in a 2012 news article by Craig Pittman below:
    "There's only so many panthers you can pack into a box," explained longtime panther biologist Darrell Land. "Something's got to give." *
    Agencies admit knowing they already have 160 cats stuffed into a box meant for 86. If this isn't animal abuse I don't know what is due to the fact that the male panthers kill each other and kittens when overpopulated. The program itself causes more dead cats than motor vehicles the difference is that this dreadful deadly behavioral by product is NOT VISIBLE like a dead cat at the roadside and that is the way agencies like it. That way the beat can go on possibly forever as we pay, pay, pay. Where is PETA when needed to stop real animal abuse? Of course they may know that there is no Federal law against animal abuse.
    The absurdity of the US Fish and Wildlife Service’s and their partners goal of having 480 panthers South of the I-4 corridor becomes crystal clear with the knowledge that 480 panthers require 36,000,000 Million acres but the land area of the entire State of Florida less water bodies is only 34,721,280 acres (54,252 square miles as per State of Florida.com). One can see from this easily, that if the entire State was turned over to panthers and everyone moved out of Florida’s land mass is still 721,000+ acres short according to long standing agency data.

Should State and Federal government agencies be allowed by elected officials and we the people to continue towards this absurd goal it will require eventually building hundreds if not thousands of panther over or underpasses at $4,000,000 dollars each and installing hundreds if not thousands of miles of 10 foot high fencing with barbed wire on top to restrict movement of humans to the corridors left for them to travel between the islands of human occupation/prisons created for them by the panther protection/recovery program and all supporting partners.

Thanks to this ongoing panther fraud and the environmentalists behind it the latest draft hunt plan for the Addition Lands of Big Cypress details that only 30 hunters will get quota permits to hunt each different deer season (Arch, ML, GG) on that 147,000 acres, oh and their 1 guest if they are allowed. I wouldn't disrespect my *** by wiping it with this plan.

Banned
    Most women start to become cougarish around 40 and then I see where they dress..... I call it cougarize to pick up younger dudes.

those cougars can kill a young man as well...b carefull

from Urban Dictionary:

1. Panther

A female who likes older men.

ex. OMG, Julia's boyfriend is 17 years older than her, she's such a PANTHER!

By Lee Bowman

Scripps Howard News Service

This 2009 photo provided by the journal Science shows a 3-week-old Florida panther kitten.

They didn't stay around long, but the eight lady cougars from Texas who temporarily set up housekeeping in southwest Florida in the late 1990s left a lasting impression.

Their genes may have saved from extinction, for now, Florida's last remaining panthers by bringing fresh blood into a dwindling, inbred population, according to research being published Friday in the journal Science.

"Once they got in, they didn't waste much time," said Stephen O'Brien, chief of the Laboratory of Genomic Diversity at the National Cancer Institute in Frederick, Md., who helped lead the study and has worked on the restoration project for decades. "Now every panther in Florida has an ancestor from Texas."

Whether they're called a panther, cougar, puma, mountain lion or catamount, all of North America's big cats share the same roots: a small group of Central American panthers that moved into the continent at the end of the last ice age, scientists say.

They differ only slightly according to habitat, and subspecies regularly mingled in border areas. So, while the Texas females arrived in Florida with human help in 1995, ancestors of the two groups had mated regularly in the vicinity of Louisiana before the two populations were cut off in the 19th century, researchers said.

That isolation and loss of habitat had reduced Florida's panthers — the last population east of the Mississippi River — to 20 to 30 mostly geriatric individuals before the restoration project began.

Texas wildlife biologist Roy McBride, a co-author of the study, has been tracking cougars in his home state and Florida for decades. A female — captured in a tree by McBride and his dogs west of Lake Okeechobee in 1973 — was the first scientific proof in decades that the subspecies hadn't gone extinct. But the survivors were a sad lot.

"They were doing real poorly," McBride said. "They weren't having many kittens, and they weren't raising a lot of the kittens they did have."

There are now about 100 mature panthers and 20 to 30 kittens roaming the Big Cypress Swamp and surrounding areas. "That's quite a few, although well short of the 500 or 1,000 you'd like to see for a sustainable population long term," O'Brien said.

Gone from the population are most of the genetic flaws that plagued the few dozen bedraggled panthers wildlife experts found in the swamp in the mid-1990s: heart defects, kinked tails, high loads of parasites, low testosterone levels and, crucially, poor sperm quality, undeveloped testicles and low reproductive rates.

The newer generation of big cats is stronger, faster and more prolific. McBride, whose team also rounded up the Texas imports, told his colleagues the reinvigorated breed has become harder to catch. Panthers sometimes leap from trees over dogs and humans alike to escape, something earlier generations never did.

Biologists decided to shut down the breeding experiment in 2003, recapturing the surviving two Texas females to live out their days at a research station in north Florida and shutting off the dilution of the gene pool.

Researchers caution that, while the Florida panthers have won some genetic breathing room, they're not safe. "We've slowed down the loss of genetic variation, but if they remain isolated the problems will return," said David Onorato, a research scientist with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission's research institute in Naples, Fla.

"It really all comes down to giving them the habitat to expand and increase to larger numbers and range."

What bothers me most about this whole experiment is that these scientists and animal rights lovers think that by bringing back panthers they're somehow doing good for our ecosystem. They don't seem to realize the host of problems they are creating, not only within the Florida ecosystems in which these hybrid cats are introduced, but the conflicts they are creating with hunters, livestock and the general public.

These big cats need lots of territory and lots of food. Once you begin expanding their numbers and their range they will have significant impact in every aspect of our lives. While it may be sad to see a species go extinct, it's part of the natural order of things. There is no longer the open expanse of land needed to house these cats. Deer numbers may be stable in most of Florida, but they won't be for long if the cats are artificially reintroduced on a large scale.

The conflicts will continue to increase. There are already numerous cats dying on the roads and highways through collisions with vehicles. These cats are also killing livestock and game at an alarming rate. Soon, you'll start seeing some attacks in residential areas; first on pets, then on people. Once that happens, it will be too late to reverse the problems.

In the WMAs, you'll start seeing deer, hog & small game numbers drop as well. I would venture to guess that hunters will be the most visibly impacted and quickest to recognize the problems. This whole scenario is headed in a disastrous direction and no one from any state or federal agency is considering the consequences.
    Final Approach Pro Staff, Duck Junkies Pro Staff, and proud member of the Fab Five.

I had you pissed off at "hello."

WHAT DO WE DO???? HOW DO WE TURN THE LIGHTS ON SO THAT THEY SEE THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM? ONCE IT'S TOO LATE, IT'S TOO LATE.

Its already happening, but unfortunately the destruction is not evident for many years, and by the time they see it reversing it takes three times as long.

What truly puzzles me is that these people are supposed to be highly educated, making the right choices. How are they getting it so wrong?

Very sad indeed..
    My whole attitute changed when the area of Big Cypress was closed,and the local people's voices were not heard. FWC was hard pressed to close it because the fed's were busy shaking hands,and taking pictures with babies. Then in places where we never saw even sign of Cougars out pops pics of them on trail cameras. THe numbering system of the cat's is completely skewed,with only a few people really in the know of how many are out there. Some areas you can literally drive around and have a good chance at seing one.

And they want to establish DMU's...?CMU's

You can't bring DMUs into it. They are NOT connected. The deer team led by Cory and James are not even in contact with the panther people. I and many here are with you on the panther issues. But you lose credibility with this conspiracy BS on the DMUs and their supposed connection to the cats.
    Final Approach Pro Staff, Duck Junkies Pro Staff, and proud member of the Fab Five.

Quote Originally Posted by SWFL Hunter View Post
    WHAT DO WE DO???? HOW DO WE TURN THE LIGHTS ON SO THAT THEY SEE THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM? ONCE IT'S TOO LATE, IT'S TOO LATE.

Its already happening, but unfortunately the destruction is not evident for many years, and by the time they see it reversing it takes three times as long.

What truly puzzles me is that these people are supposed to be highly educated, making the right choices. How are they getting it so wrong?
    Mike, I wish I knew. Unfortunately, most people are disinterested or only care about the appearances. They see the panther and think, "We need to save it." They don't care or think about the consequences and little can be done to sway their opinions. Most folks just aren't that concerned about anything except what's already happened to them.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast