Minimum length fishing boat for offshore

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Minimum length fishing boat for offshore

Ok.. So I believe I have saved enough for a decent fishing boat. I was wondering what the minimum length would be and some basic info to look for when boat hunting. Lets say the minimum requirements to get out on day with 15mph (just incase a calm day turned into that) and I know the inlet gets crazy getting out so also trying to factor boat size into that. I obviously will do my research over the next month or so but figured I could get a jump start here. Thanks!

New/used? Location? How far are you planning on running? Some ppl's idea of offshore is 5 miles others 100. How many people do you plan on fishing with? It also depends on the boat, not length in some cases.

Im in a 19 ft Boston Whaler Outrage with a verado 150. Regularly go 30+mi offshore, as long as its a long period swell things are fine, throw some chop on it and fishing becomes a lot of work. A lot has to do with how sharp the bow entry is. The sharper the entry, the smoother the ride. Scout, Cobia, and Grady White have much sharper entries than mine, but I like to think I have the advantage of versatility (only draws a foot). Frankly I dont care if I'm the smallest boat in the gulf stream, I have the lowest gas bill!

Do you really want to go offshore, get in bad weather.........and have a MINIMUM boat?

There isn't a minimum. What you want to consider is how much stuff and people you are going to take. Shorter the boat less storage, less people can go comfortabley. Paragon goes 30 miles but you also have to think about fuel tank size. Smaller boat ave smaller tanks with smaller more fuel efficient motors. Bigger boats have the reverse effect in most cases.

Me personally I want a boat between 25-28 ft. Thats just what I want, I like the room. Can also take more people with me to pay for the fuel
    The Beatings will continue until moral improves!

I have a 21' sea fox that does good up to 2 to 3 if you hsve ur sea legs and i would say 20 is about the min but if ur only offshore fishin and have the money id go 24 and up

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Mine's got a 60 gal tank and about 300mi range at 25kts burning 5 gph at 4k rpm.

Most important thing to consider is weather/sea states. It doesnt matter if you're on a 19ft boat or a 25 footer, when its rolling out there everyone is going to feel it. If you're new to boat ownership and offshore fishing I would strongly recommend having no more than one or two people accompanying you until you really learn the ropes. There's been a couple time's I wish ive gone for a slightly larger boat, but the truth is i wouldnt want to be out there getting knocked around all day just to burn 20gal and come back with a couple fish. Especially when i could burn a fraction of that while fishing inshore and bringing home a limit catch.

It sucks having to look at fishing from an economics standpoint but its a reality every boat owner faces, or if they choose not to, will eventually.

Finally, learn the weather charts, this site has great resources, I also use Surfline to get more precise info on offshore conditions (its just easier to read).

I'd want 25 minimum. I have a 19 footer now and with winds at 15 mph I get pounded. Sometimes I just turn around after going 50 yards out into open water. It just isn't worth it, to me.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

When the big storm hits............you can't have a boat that's big enough. Go out in 2-3 then 5-6 foot chop in a small boat then do it in a bigger boat. Anyone can boat when seas are smooth, but that can change in a hurry offshore.

I agree with nuclear, even though most the fishing I do is on my 21 foot deep v. Yes it takes 2-3 pretty nice, and I can still go over 30 in them. However, I have been out there when it changes real fast and you are running from a storm or can not and are stuck plowing through it. 24 and up with twins is my best suggestion. I do it the safest way I can for having a smaller boat. Epirb, vhf, 2 gps, 2 compasses, all the safety gear, spare food and water, spare batteries, spare fuel and oil, shade, and tools just in case. I have never had to be towed in(knock on wood) from offshore but I do not want to ever be stuck out there on any boat without safety gear. Twins give you that extra security if something fails in one motor. Just remember this is coming from someone who fishes in a 21 foot boat offshore 90% of the time spent on the boat. 150 yamaha, 85 gallon tank. Paragon you get 5 miles to the gallon? That's awesome... wish I got that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast