Kayak Maintenance
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Kayak Maintenance

Hey guys;

I'm planning on putting my yak on sawhorses and work on some maintenance. My main concern is smoothing out the scratches on the bottom and possibly sealing the keel against
    further damage. I've researched several articles but would like to ask the forum members for some tips. After smoothing out the scratches, is there a sealant that you may have tried
    to use to help preserve the underside of your boat?

Thanks in advance!

I advise you not to sand your kayak. It'll get scratched up regardless. There's plastic wear strips you can glue to the bottom from keel ez, but they're not that good either. I would just leave it alone and try not to drag the kayak through rough terrain.

You can use a soldering iron to smooth out deeper gauges, but usually just putting plastic shavings back where the were. If you saved any bits and pieces of plastic from installing rod holders and such you can drip that in a gauge. The little scratches are just part of wear and tear- let them be.
    bugdoc

Southeast Florida kayak launch sites at http://www.floridakayaksites.info

I would recommend you research a little bit on your kayak to see the type of polyethylene and if you have an acrylic top layer.

If you just have a lot of minor scratches, I hear polish works wonders but I would say just leave it alone.

I resurfaced my kayak at the end of last summer due to scary gouges from gaff and other things and It came out awesome.

1. Make sure you clean all oils, sand and ect off before starting.( I used dial dish soap)
    2. I find epoxy works great on both types and holds up to saltwater and other harsh conditions.

I used a heat gun and 1400-1600 grade sandpaper for the rest but make sure you lay your kayak on a full solid surface to prevent warping. Keep a watchful eye on the temperature of your kayak and switch repeated from bow to stern little by little. Make sure before you move or apply any pressure that your kayak has a chance to cool down for a t least 24-48 hours.

Thankfully I saved most of the shaving from past modification which made it alot easier and by the time I was finished I could easily see my reflection and noticed huge improvement in performance.

You could buy a cheap plastic welding kit and the appropriate type of plastic to use to fill in the gouges if they're deep. If they're not deep, it's a waste of time though.

l've refurbed three boats that I was getting ready for sale; repaired gouge's, restored faded decks & smoothed-out hulls with a heat gun and a spoon. It is very time consuming but the boats came out really nice, all three were Ocean Kayaks (2- yellow, 1 blue). Along with working the plastic, I replaced all bungees, straps & buckles.

For normal hull gouges, I use the heat gun and a spoon or wet rag to manipulate the plastic. No worries with everyday scratches........