My 1st Kayak run......
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My 1st Kayak run......

I finally got to take the kayak out for the first time Sunday. It was my first time on a kayak and I gotta tell you, I was excited and it couldnít have gone better.

I have a Field & Stream Eagle Talon 12-footer. I launched at a little boat ramp right around the corner from my house in Margate. I was loaded with my tackle bag and 3 rods all rigged. After becoming acclimated to it and got my rhythm the kayak paddled very well and was faster that I had imagined. It tracked really well and had no complaints about the ride. I had planned on being out there about an hour or so but got so used to being in that I wound up staying out for a half day. I even got to do some fishing and I already got some fish slime on it.

I paddled about a mile from the launch ramp and started fishing an area that had some current, wind and moving water. After my 3rd cast, I hooked into what I thought was a bowfin. After about a 10-15 minute fight, which included my 1st ďsleigh rideĒ (that was fun!!) I brought up a snakehead that had to be at least 10 pounds!! I didnít have my scale with me, or a measure but I lifted it out of the water and at full armís length, itís tail was still in the water!! After the release I caught a LMB that was about 2 pounds all in the same area. Called it quits after that and paddled back to the ramp with a nice rhythm and a nice tail-wind.

All in all a successful 1st outing. I canít wait to go out again. The kayak performed better than I expected, I became accustomed to it faster than I thought I would and as far as itís fish ability it went beyond my expectations. The only negatives:
    A) The cheapo factory seat-my butt was sore and numb. Have to figure out a fix for that that wonít break the budget.
    B) The front rod holder is mounted too far forward for me (Iím 5í6Ē). Need to relocate this.

Next weekend Tradewinds Park for another run at it. Then after the holidays, I have to get it into some salt water flats.

Thanks for reading my report.

Another satisfied customer. Welcome to the madness.

Welcome to the fourm. Nice first trip out. Get a good seat, well worth the extra $. Keep the reports coming.

Wonderful report.Happy for you! A whole new world to discover.

Wait till you get the gull to take it off-shore and see the world many of us have fallen in love with. Welcome to our forum. Nice report.

Welcome to the wonderful world of fishing from a yak!!

Pete is correct on investing into a good seat and I would recommend looking into a extender for easier reach for your rod holder.

http://kayakfishinggear.com/scottyad...tender459.aspx

Nice your hooked

Quote Originally Posted by blazing_reels View Post
    Wait till you get the gull to take it off-shore and see the world many of us have fallen in love with. Welcome to our forum. Nice report.
    +1. Haven't returned to the intracoastal since the first time I went offshore.
    2005 Sea Fox w/ Merc 150 2 stroke (adding here since I always forget in my "how do I fix this" posts)

Enjoy the addiction along with the rest of us.
    Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.
    Ned Dolan

Congrats and Welcome!!1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast