A Point on the Home Page article about Longline Permits - Page 18

Florida Sportsman

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Fish View Post
    What more "Science" using thousands of hooks to kill and discard gonna prove?

Is there a new circle hook that only hooks intended species?

Cmon this is a for profit "Science"

If you want to compare Rec's To Com's THEN PLAY BY THE SAME RULES! Hook and line or Buoy fishing where the hooks are checked often..
    GT, interesting enough, I heard this week of a circle hook that "repels" sharks. How about that one!
    Due to the Current State of the Economy,

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!

Gary, as many people on this forum keep reminding you, you are not a moderator, so please don't tell me what to do. I have no problem with you calling my argument nonsensical since it does not agree with your point of view, but I do not like being called a liar. That is definitely off topic.

Ron, thanks for providing new insight and information into these important manners. cheers, O
    The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.

My local fish market has no problem filling their shelves with swordfish. In fact they advertise on facebook daily they have a surplus! It's all buoy and rod and reel caught.

Cod and Capers on PGA.

Ron, There has not been a word you have uttered over the past 10 years that I have not paid attention to, at times you seem to understand that US PLL is a necessary evil as I do recreational catch and release fishing. That does not indicate that we believe in the method, only that we accept it has a place on the table. In all I believe that we along with Tim have made a firm stand for Florida and when push came to shove we aligned on the same side of the fence to benefit all Fisherman in this State.

In regard to my decision not to re-up on the AP, I think you already know why as you must have the same opinion. At no fault to HMS the AP was designed to be just that, a committee that provides recommendations without voting ability. I have watched Margo during my terms and I am confident she gives as much consideration to public comment as to the panel. Although I enjoy the process of joining together for the event, my schedule has made it increasingly difficult to attend the meetings. No doubt Scott Taylor will be a suitable replacement, if not much more of a pain for some

The writing has been on the wall for US PLL for a long time with enviros attempting to use every bycatch species to close the door on the industry. We have seen juvenile swords, marlin, birds, turtles, seals and now bluefin used to convince NOAA or the judicial system to implement a ban on the gear type as was the case in the Pacific. In each case the resurgence of the bycatch species has shed a doubt on the data that was being used initiate the law suits. We are witnessing more turtles on our coast than ever and billfish stocks appear to be sustainable at current catch rates. So the fight turns to Bluefin. Many may not know that the US longline fleet has never fished for bluefin tuna as a directed species and the incidental take of one or two fish has been the rule since the 1970's. Three fish are permitted per trip now but a minimum of 30,000 of directed species like swordfish is required first which elimanates a lot of vessels without that capacity. This may seem fair until we look at how the bluefin stock is managed by other Nations sharing the same stock of fish. An example would be that after November 1st, the Canadian Government allowed bluefin tuna to be accessed by the Japanese fleet of 150' vessels with a capacity of 200mt per vessel. The fish the Japanese target are the same stock that our general category guys in the NE fish and the same body of fish that US longlines are restricted from keeping.

To get back on track, Bluefin conservation is the flavor of the week in the attempt to restrict LL operations and it could possibly be the straw that breaks the back. A huge push by enviros to have bluefin designated as endangered is underway that would limit any fishing that causes interaction with the species. Ofcourse recreationals have mixed emotions about this because it is a case of cutting your own nose to spite the LL industry, so most recreational proponents have not made their opinion as clear as the enviros who oppose all fishing. Endangered species listing would restrict interaction for all fishing sectors and could very well limited fishing for any species within the migratory pattern of bluefin tuna. An example of that would be a complete closure of Georges Bank when Bluefin are present.
    Last edited by broadbill-pro; 01-10-2013 at 10:12 AM.

BP,

We will miss your amazing experience that you brought with you to the AP panel. I have enjoyed the education you have given me from your experience on the waters. You have made me a better representative for the recs by the knowledge you have shared with me personally.
    Due to the Current State of the Economy,

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off!

Senior Member Gary S. Colecchio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorO View Post
    Gary, as many people on this forum keep reminding you, you are not a moderator, so please don't tell me what to do. I have no problem with you calling my argument nonsensical since it does not agree with your point of view, but I do not like being called a liar. That is definitely off topic.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

Quote Originally Posted by Gary S. Colecchio View Post
    You are right. I do know. And I just told you. So lets stay on the topic and stop invoking these emotional nonsensical arguments.
    So, why didn't you rebuke that idiot beach-trade some 4 or 5 pages back... y'all buddies or you feel some sort of oceanic bond?

Just curious.
    This place rocks!
    Now

Senior Member Gary S. Colecchio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ANUMBER1 View Post
    So, why didn't you rebuke that idiot beach-trade some 4 or 5 pages back... y'all buddies or you feel some sort of oceanic bond?

Just curious.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

Ron
    I have a question :
    Why is it that you support along side, The Billfish Foundation a General Cat. Permit for swordfish ?
    The real truth, not the standard old fill the quota answer......

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718